shrubs_n_bulbs

How many eggs fit on a leaf?

shrubs_n_bulbs
18 years ago

{{gwi:61461}}

Comments (15)

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

It looks like one of those beaded purses only uglier! I smush those by hand when I see them.

Nancy

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Exactly 531. I counted them. Who's the intruder? PF

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness, what the devil laid those egg's?
    Wow!
    I wish you good luck in disguarding those buggers.
    Blessings, Tina

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have no idea what the insect it, maybe some kind of stinkbug?

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Incredible! Whatever it is must be prolific! I've seen slug eggs in the soil that had a translucent look, but I've not seen anything like this.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

What a neat pic, SnB!

I once found some eggs that looked like Oreo cookies! Belonged to Harlequin Bugs (can see at link below). Yours look barrel shaped, which would fit some stinkbug's eggs.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin Bug eggs plus

• PuraVida
    18 years ago

Ugly? I think they're really cool looking.

ItÂs those beaded purses that are UGLY!--Hello?!?! And what's all this KILL! KILL! KILL! Attitude about? Is it not knowing what they are that makes them so scary? Humn...

Maybe they should be ID'ed before they're indiscriminately destroyed. Not all insects are bad, in fact most are beneficial.

They look like butterfly or moth eggs to me.

PuraVida

Here is a link that might be useful: my organic wildlife garden

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

That's alot of veeery tiny omelettes...

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Remember the movie "Alien"? Looks just like the Alien's egg pods yikes!!

Joseph

• njcher
    18 years ago

One time I was trying to diagnose a pest by searching on the computer. I wasn't having any luck so I decided to scan in the eggs on the leaf like the above. I was going to post the pic and ask if anyone knew what it was.

I went outside and found a leaf with the eggs and put it face down on the scanner. As it so happened, eggs were in the process of hatching. The bugs were literally hatching and walking off the scanner bed as I scanned them, LOL.

Hey, guys, wait up!

That was one of the coolest, funniest garden experiences ever.

Cher

p.s. Isn't gardening learning about how the natural world works together? Thus if we indiscriminately kill insects without knowing what their purpose is, we are not learning--merely culturally reacting to what we've been taught ahout bugs (ick,eww). It breaks my heart when I see cans of spider spray in the homes of my well-educated friends. Spiders are the best!

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Spider Spray!?! I searched to see if such a product was available in the UK. This is the closest I could find :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider spray?

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Hee hee hee, Shrubs n bulbs! I was thinking the same thing when I read your response, Cher...IS there such a thing as "spider spray"? :P I suppose "bug spray" would be sufficient. I end up taking lots of pix of spiders & other insects when I come across them. Well...except for the Black Widow spider I found last week...I DID kill IT!

~Rosemarie

• CLacy2k
    18 years ago

Great picture!

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

cool. I wouldn't kill anything I see like that, unless I knew that the bug was either a fly or J. beetle, the only two that I can't tolerate. All the bugs play a role in the big picture.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, there are certainly many products in the US marketed as sprays for killing spiders. Regular insecticides may not be effective against spiders since they aren't insects. About the only thing I kill on a regular basis (other than succulents!) are slugs and snails.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kill almost anything with these products ...

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor