Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone identify this foxglove?

Posted by GeoffHandley Shropshire, UK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 05 at 16:49

I have forgotten the name of this one. I got the seed from a stall of the Hardy Plant Society. I know it is supposed to be perennial. The leaves are quite narrow for a foxglove and the individual flowers quite small - it gives a very tall and slender spike.

Image link: Anyone identify this foxglove? (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone identify this foxglove?

I was just reading High Country Gardens' catalog and saw one called Digitalis obscura, Narrow-leaf Foxglove. Described as: 18" x 12" wide, ( seed propagated). 2004 Plant Select winner. A rugged perennial species from the mountains of Spain. Digitalis obscura is very different from the woodland Foxgloves commonly offered. The brown and yellow bell-like flowers are extrememly attractive; the upright woody stems and evergreen lily-like leaves are also very ornamental.

This might be what you have. What do you think?

gld

o

I think you might be right. I do remember buying seed of that name now you mention it.
This is a picture of the whole spike.

Thanks for the very quick answer.

o

My first thought was D. ferruginea.

o

I love that plant! I may try to find seeds. The catalog I saw it in only had plants. They also recommended full or partial sun in lean to average garden soil (not too much compost) and water deeply but not too frequently. Z5-9.

o

Could be D. ferruginea. Here's pics from my yard:

o

bellarosa
Well here is a picture of the leaves so you can compare.

o
RE: Anyone identify this foxglove?(2)

Is this what the leaf of ferruginea looks like? Cause if it is you guys have solved the problem of what foxgloves I have.

o

It looks like the Digitalis ferruginea, l have in flower in my garden.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Geoff,
Here's a pic of the leaves on Digitalis ferruginea for comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here