Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah621

Strange and Unusual

Sarah621
18 years ago

Strange and unusual

Yes, Im looking for ideas for my "Strange and Unusual" garden that I will be starting on my front patio. I want the very different looking plants. Have any Ideas??? Will be starting w/ a maypop (passion flower) Would like to stick w/ bright or dark colors no pastels.

I would like about 10 different plants for this little garden. Please send me ideas w/ pictures if possible.

Thanks all!!!

Sarah621

Comments (8)

• JoanofPa
    18 years ago

The Cosmos's colors are vibrant in the orange and dark fuschia. How about choosing zinnia seeds of one or two colors. These aren't different looking plants but would be a good base for the few unusual plants you add.

• Joyce
    18 years ago

Here are some pix...
    {{gwi:61616}}

{{gwi:61496}}

{{gwi:61617}}

{{gwi:61618}}

Black Mondo Grass
    {{gwi:60904}}

Green Rose...
    {{gwi:61619}}

Variegated pelargonium...
    {{gwi:61620}}

Unusual Head Planter with 'Medusa' Euphorbia...
    {{gwi:61621}}

Another head planter with variegated Corkscrew Rush
    {{gwi:61622}}

Just remember, blooms are NOT everything, only the icing on the cake.
    Without a strong backbone of foliage and texture, a garden will become very boring when plants take a break from blooming.

Feel free to look through my photo albums in the link below...

Hope this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photobucket Photo Albums

• anna_in_quebec
    18 years ago

Gasp! What awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. - Anna

• romando
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness. I am weak. I am weak with sickness, and sick with weakness. Those are some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. . .I especially like the almost black waterlily, and the blue ish looking one with a tall stalk? Is that the moonbeam one? I saw moonbeam later on, but this particular photo wasn't id'd. Oh my. And the raccoon was too cute! And on the photos you posted here, I'm envious of the black and pink caladium! And that head planter with the euphorbia. . .that's just my style! (and what I look like in the morning. . .lol)
    I honestly never realized that black mondo grass bloomed; the lilac color of the flowers is so striking in contrast! I must have some. Must. . . have. . . .more. . . . . . .
    (infer breathless weakness here)
    Amanda 'romando'

• chuckr30
    18 years ago

I like those heads! How about thunbergia? It is a vine which likes warm (not hot) weather but will not survive a freeze. It has striking yellow blooms with a perfect brown center. I have some growing among my purple butterfly bush and the yellow/brown thunbergia makes quite a contrast with the purple flowers.

Just let it grow among some other flowers, preferably something tall and straight, like maybe red sunflowers.

• Joyce
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Amanda, some of the water lilies I grow are not named, therefore I do not label them. I just grow them cuz I love all water lilies!

I have been on vacation in Newport, just got back last night.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

• klavier
    18 years ago

{{gwi:61623}}
    Doubled Blood Root
    {{gwi:61624}}
    {{gwi:61625}}
    Sauromatum Venosum
    {{gwi:61626}}
    Tricyrtis Hirta
    {{gwi:61627}}
    {{gwi:61628}}
    Rudbeckia
    {{gwi:61538}}
    Hibiscus "Copper King"
    {{gwi:61536}}
    {{gwi:61629}}
    {{gwi:61630}}
    Iris Dardanus
    {{gwi:61631}}
    iris "Hello Darkness"
    {{gwi:61632}}
    Gaillardia Fanfare

• Sarah621
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanx but no thanks...Sauromatum in bloom attracts many flying guests by its strong fragrance of fecal matter. Dont think I would like that by my door, do you?
    Sarah621

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!