Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
monarch

Posted by kennebunker 5, s. ME (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 19:46

I walked out to pull weeds,oh how we love that job.
This butterfly just kept flitting about my phlox. I have no idea what kind of phlox it is, a friend gave me some years ago, she had no idea what it was either, because a friend gave it to her.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: monarch

Weeeds??? SHHHHHhhhhhhhh! :D

Beautiful Monarch! I've never seen one in person!

~Rosemarie

o

Pretty Phlox and Monarch! Would love to attract these to my garden! I know there are some in Georgia, but have not seen them in years. Any ideas?

o

I usually have hummingbirds and butterflies about. I think they are attracted to heavily scented flowers. That phlox has a heavenly one. DH walked outside the other night and came in saying the garden smelled like a florist's shop.
Hummingbirds just love fuschia. I had baskets of it on my porch for several years and they'd hang about a lot. One year I had a bird's nest in one of the hanging baskets. I think it was a sparrow's. It was a kick to see the baby birds' heads bobbing about. The mama tried to start a nest there again the next year, but I discouraged her. Although it was cute to have the little birds there, it was also hard to water and they did play havoc with the fuschia inside the basket.

o

Ahh, lovley. Great combo for a picture, the beautiful flowers and the flutterby!

o

looks to be phlox paniculata 'bright eyes'. i grow this one as well as other colors. they are some of my favorite summer-blooming perennials with a long flowering period and some are nicely fragrant.
if you would like to attract monarchs to your garden, plant some milkweed (asclepias tuberosa or other species of asclepias). i have read that the larvae feed exclusively on them. a. tuberosa is a north american native plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'bright eyes' phlox

o

Yes, Jeff, it does look like Bright Eyes, I'll have to pass that on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here