Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Lilies, Oniyuri

Posted by plantfreak z9aKyushuJapan (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 20:11

Japan is a land where flowers are loved, and the lilies are a favorite summer flower. Lily is called "yuri" in Japanese, and the 15 species found here can be seen fom Hokkaido to Okinawa (thats a formidable range of climates, equivalent to the range from northern Maine to south Florida). Even the Easter Lily of the west is in fact a Japanese native.

The Tiger Lily, Lilium lancifolium, is a common plant in the west as well, but is in fact probably a Chinese native. It was brought to Japan initially as a food plant, but today is mostly used as an ornamental. Japanese plants dont form seeds, so they must be grown from dividing the bulbs, or by the little bulbs that form on the base of the leaves. This species is called "oniyuri" named after devil-like beasts with red faces called "oni". The closest equivalent in the west to an oni might be a gremlin, but oni are much bigger and full of mischief. Heres a large clump growing near my house.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A little closer:

Closer still:

If you want to read a nice page on Japanese Lilies then check this out. Of course many hybrids abound here as well. In spring bulbs are available everywhere at really cheap prices ($1-3 each for huge bulbs, depending on the variety). They are great plants! PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Lilies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Lilies, Oniyuri

I could hardly look at your lilies for gawking at your gorgeous mountains and mist!

o

Wow! Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing these! How lucky you are to get to admire these in person!

o

Tall and stately! Don't you just admire a plant that stands tall and strong, and doesn't flop over.

o

I can't wait until my clump is that large but of course if I don't stop trading them it will never get there! lol Stunning is the right word for them!

Nancy

o

I have these in both my front and back yard. Lilium Superbum, or turk's cap lily. I got them 4 1/2 years ago, and they spread like wildfire after the 2nd year.

If anyone has any pink, Iwould love to trade a few with you!

Blessings, Tina

o

Thanks for the information. It is very interesting. EP

o

Your lillies are beautiful, your homesite is even more so.

o

Thanks for all the comments. I do feel fortunate to live in a place that offers such beauty...of course the reality of modern Japan is just as strong here. When I photograph Japan I try to focus on traditional or natural subjects, but you must realize this all is embedded in a decidedly modern landscape composed largely of concrete, steel, and conjestion that is at first very daunting. I live on the outskirts of most of that, yet it affects the community I live in as well. The city is spreading.

Also, these are not my lilies. They are growing in a small private garden next to one of the many rice patties here. I spied them one day on a bike ride, and took these pics. The mountains in the backround are often shrouded in mist even when it is not raining in the lowlands. After a typhoon has passed the surrounding mountains are covered in the most exquisite blanket of clouds. It is very hard to describe, but the first thought you have is "wow, the world is really mysterious!". PF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here