Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 garden pics

Posted by springa7 z5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 23:10

Purple Liatris (also known as Gayfeather or Blazing Star) with bright yellow Rudbeckia (Brown-eyed Susans) behind it.

A picture of the Liatris (with a visitor) just starting to bloom against the backdrop of the Brown-eyed Susans. One of the distinctive features of Liatris is that it grows flower stalks that bloom from the top down rather than from the bottom up. This picture was taken between 2 and 3 weeks ago, and the liatris is now almost finished blooming.

Brown-eyed Susans on the left, brick red and yellow Daylilies on the right, with some type of striped ornamental grass (dont know the exact name) behind them. There is also some Liatris just to the left of center that had not started to bloom yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 garden pics

Beautiful garden and pictures!

Eliza Ann

o

Beautiful garden..... how do you keep the caterpillar's off your leaves?

In 1 day my herb garden was destroied, despite my efforts to pick every one off and squash it, i also have rings about 2" tall around the base of my plants, and that does nothing to stop them.

I am very envious.... your garden is everything I want mine to be and more!
Cheryl

o

I love the expanse of purple and yellow. Beautiful!

o

Really pretty combinations

o

Thank you for your compliments, everyone.

NikkoBlue - We dont do anything special to keep caterpillars away. This year has actually been a very good one for insects - there have been many bees, wasps, butterflies, flies, and moths around the flowers, but very little eating the plants except for a couple of cutworms when I first planted vegetables. This isnt true every year - we have had trouble with Japanese beetles, various kinds of caterpillars, and aphids, among other things, in past years.

o

These are beautiful photos...
I love your garden and you'll have to forgive me for the technical question but how do you post multiple photos with one description.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

o

Is that your garden or a park? Such a beautiful spot to be in, I admire your design

o

Love the combination of Purple Liatris with the yellow Rudbeckia. Beautiful shot of the whole garden.

o

My favorite color combinations - yellow & purple! Also, some of my favorite perennials.
Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here