Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrubs_n_bulbs

Tricyrtis

shrubs_n_bulbs
18 years ago

My garden is looking a little burnt-out at the moment, but Tricyrtis hirta is just starting up :)

{{gwi:62298}}

Comments (15)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Oh MY, that is GORGEOUS! Woohoo~thanks for showing us!

I think this is one of those I can NOT grow here. :(

~Rosemarie

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Lovely!
    Most of my garden is insect-damaged and going dormant.

• covella
    18 years ago

That's nice! I have Miyazaki, Tojen and Shirohotogisu blooming right now and waiting for 1 tiny bud on my new Hatatogisu. I never seem to get a great closeup but yours is fabulous. Which variety is it?

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Variety? Nope, sorry, just the straight species. I was listing out varieties I might like in the spring when I ran across a bag of roots at a nursery. So I filled up the allocated space for about the price of one named plant. I'll add different species and maybe named varieties when the bed eats some more lawn :)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Here is my favorite, blooms during the summer. Love these little guys!

Tricyrtis lasiocarpus
    {{gwi:62299}}

• cloudia
    18 years ago

Those are great.

• toadlilly
    18 years ago

SNB: Mine are species too-just now budding up! I have those cool blooms to look forward too-
    CH: I love the purple in that one! CJ

• klavier
    18 years ago

Wow Shrubs_n_bulbs, yours has a beautiful pink color to it. Great picture too.
    {{gwi:62300}}
    {{gwi:62301}}
    {{gwi:62302}}
    I don't like mine so much. The foliage always looks like crud this time of year. It would be a much better plant for pictures if the folaige stayed nice and green rather than browning.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Interesting colour variation, although that's obvious T. hirta too. Is it a cultivar?

I think the foliage keeps better in a nice woodland spot, moist and shady. Mine is passable this year, just a little slug damage. I managed the snap in the early morning when the sun touches that spot.

• starmoon
    18 years ago

I love these beauties. Here's a few of mine!

"Tojen"

{{gwi:62303}}

"Dark Beauty"

{{gwi:62304}}

Enjoy!

starmoon *)

• klavier
    18 years ago

Nice shot of Tojen,
    I just got that one this year, and it appears to be later than my other one. It is still now a few days from blooming. I can't wait. That "Dark Beauty" is certainly that. To think that a couple of years ago these were almost unheard of. Now they are everywhere. I got "tojen" at Lowes. The other I got on clearance in November at a specialty shop foor or five years ago and it grows incredibly fast. I divide it twice a year!

• ArborBluffGirl
    18 years ago

I have a decent clump of t. formosana. I actually need to divide it as it has gone crazy and looks like a bush as there are so many blooming. I picked up t. miyazaki last year. Frankly as far as I can tell, formosana and miyazaki look very similar. I have t.latifolia that bloomed a month or so ago, very nice but is still getting settled in so only just a flower or two. I just ordered white towers and can't wait to see how that looks...

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Everyone seems to like these, so here's another piccie :)
    {{gwi:62305}}

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

I have not a photo for you but love those posted

I have a number of them in my garden in Ontario Canada

They have been hit by frost already but where nicely in bloom

Very nice plant to have in ones garden. Seem to be problem free. Just like to have good soil and water.

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

I have never tried those. I think I wll look into that. Thanks for the photos.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert