Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent Garden Before & Now

Posted by central_cali369 z9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 18:55

I am mostly a lurker here, and I like going though all of the pictures posted on this forum and other forums. I'd like to share a couple of pictures of the transformation of my yard from a lawn to a drought tolerant garden. The main reason for the transformation has been to conserve water, so all of the plant material that has replaced the lawn is drought resistant (some of the pre-existing plants are not.) I've been using both California natives and plants native to areas with similar climates, such as the northwest of Mexico, Central Chile and Argentina, Southern Africa, The interior and West of Australia and the Mediterranean region. I'm kind of going for a Tuscan/Mediterranean look with a tropical twist. It's still a work in progress and a lot of the plants are still very young, but here they go anyway:

May 2008

July 2009

September 2009

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent Garden Before & Now

Nice work. I'm guessing Santa Barbara by the number of palm trees? I'm in the Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande area. What are the tropical looking plants to the right of the pathway? If you are interested in any small to medium agaves I have extras.
Dee

o
RE: Succulent Garden Before & Now

Thanks for the compliments Domehome! Im actually in the San Joaquin Valley. The palms line lots of country roads here. I love the Pismo Beach area. I'm actually taking a day trip to Pismo beach this coming weekend for a friend's birthday!

I think you're referring to the squash/gourd (?) vine. You can see a green and white striped gourd underneath the foliage. It was actually a volunteer this year. I have no clue how the seed got there. It must have been dropped by a bird.

Also, Thanks for the offer! I would love some smaller Agaves. I'm scared of using large Agaves for fear that they may take over the garden. The only ones I'm using right now are Agave Vilmoriniana (which doesn't sucker) and other user friendly Agaves, as well as an Agave Americana and Agave angustifolia in spots far from paths and without irrigation.

Here are some more current pictures. These are from after the heavy rain fall from this past week:

Im thinking of placing a queen palm where the almond tree is (the far back near the wall on the right side of the picture) to repeat the palm on the left side of the patio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feel free to view more pics in my photobucket album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here