Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swamprose_wa

I just finished my summer album for 2005

SwampRose_WA
18 years ago

Here's a link to my garden albums if you'd like to stop by and take a little garden tour.

It was a pretty good summer for roses for once. :)

In the very last album, on page 3, at the bottom of the page, youÂll find my pictorial ode to New Orleans of the old days, the French Quarter and Garden District, if you'd like to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: SwampRose's albums

Comments (28)

• flowergirl_VA
    18 years ago

I gotta tell ya - after looking at just some of your albums, I can't decide if I'm more inspired or depressed and just want to give up gardening AND photography! LOL

Just WOW! The gardens are beautiful and the pictures are stunning. Bravo to you!

• valzone5
    18 years ago

I am sitting here with my jaw hitting the keyboard. BEAUTIFUL!! I had an image in mind of what I wanted my garden to look like and you have it in pictures. Now, mind you, I will never get to where you are, LOL, but I have a ton of inspiration now. Do you sell your pictures? There are a few that I would buy! thanks for sharing. It was a pleasure.

Val

• rcnaylor
    18 years ago

I enjoyed your beautful gardens and photos very much. Thanks for sharing.

• lyael
    18 years ago

Wow. Oh my. WOW! What a delightful way to spend a half hour. Thank you.

Laura

• Garden_Momma
    18 years ago

Your garden is 'just BEAUTIFUL"...Thanks for sharing..

• SwampRose_WA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everybody. It's nice to have visitors in the garden. Out here in the woods, no one ever sees it. Except the slugs. :)

• Nancyisme
    18 years ago

I hope you heard me applauding. Your pictures are really beautiful! I wish I could pick my favorites and make a calendar out of them.
    Thank you for sharing.

• klavier
    18 years ago

Amazing!
    have you ever been in Better Homes Magazine of Fine Gardening with perennials? If not, you should write them a letter. People pay money to tour gardens like yours. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

• sunnyday2day
    18 years ago

Rose, I enjoyed your album so much! Thanks for that extraordinary tour! :)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Gorgeous, as always, Rose! Wonderful tour of your garden! Happy that you share it with us here!

~Rosemarie

• nadia_
    18 years ago

oh my God. That was breath-takingly beautiful. i don't have the words to describe how gorgeous your garden is.

Thank you for sharing.

• martij
    18 years ago

Unbelievable!!! I'm with flowergirl ... I don't know whether to be depressed (because my garden falls short) or to be inspired ... and your skill at photography is incredible. Though I'm green with envy, I have to say thank you for sharing the beautiful tour of your garden. (Now if I can get that "green with envy" concentrated on one thumb, maybe I'll attain perfection in gardening as you have.) Thanks again.

• pedalpusher
    18 years ago

Breathtaking!!!!! I love it. Thank you so much.

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

The Lord has blessed you dearly. Your gardens are simply breathtaking. Your gift of photography is wonderful. With a home like that, who would ever want to take a vacation. My poor house would suffer severe neglect as I would ALWAYS be out in the gardens. You must feel so at peace when you walk through and smell and see such beauty.
    Thank you so much for sharing a part of your lovely home with all of us.

Blessings, Tina

• anitabryk2
    18 years ago

Words cannot do justice to what the eyes have seen!!! You have a talented and loving hand...enjoy countless hours in that paradise!

• ptmax
    18 years ago

Rose,thanks for sharing your garden with all of us on GW.I have one rose in my garden Bonica which blooms non stop from spring till fall. Glad to see it in your album.PM

• JoanofPa
    18 years ago

I join in the praise! Thank you for sharing.

• luckygardnr
    18 years ago

Beautiful collage! Absolutely breathtaking!

• yardrat
    18 years ago

Yes, I agree with everyone, so beautiful. Too beautiful for words!!!!!!! I'm definitely inspired to continue working on my garden. Keep sharing with us. Thanks for gardening and sharing with us.

Yardrat

• suzannie
    18 years ago

Absolutely stunning garden, flowers and photography!! The house is gorgeous too! And I love your cat. thanks so much for sharing. It was very uplifting.

suz

• Msrpaul
    18 years ago

Gee, my pics seem so lame after I saw those.....BEAUTIFUL...just beautiful...and you're in such a great zone for gardening....

I think a call to HGTV would be in order...then this winter when I'm depressed because there's nothing to garden, I can see a tour through yours!

"Hats off to you"

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hello,

Took a tour of your garden through your photo album and just LOVED it! You have one of the prettiest gardens I have seen. You are very fortunate to be able to step out your door every day and enjoy that. I would love to recreate some of what you have in your yard, but I am afraid I may not have the same conditions that you have. I am in New England zone 5 with a fairly short growing season and I have more shade and part sun than anything else. Very little full sun. I am also an organic grower, so growing roses is not so easy.

My questions and comments...

Looking at the Summer 2005 album, I loved the first photo. I wondered if this area is in full sun, is that a trellis or arbor, did you build it your self, what kind of rose is on the trellis? Are those foxglove or delphinium behind the chair? Is that a clematis on the obelisk? Did you build the obelisk?

Really gorgeous sitting area!

In photo 2, is that the rose that is climbing on the arbor in photo 1?

You grow a LOT of roses. Do you grow any that can be grown by an organic grower? Without spraying?

Photo 14, identifies the rose as Zepherine...is that the climber that is shade tolerant?

Everything looks so healthy. Even your bonica rose in #26 looks more gorgeous than I remember them. [g]

In your spring album...also gorgeous..lol.

Very pretty rhododendrons/azaleas? #32..what exactly is this plant? Very pretty. #33 Not sure what this plant is either?

In photo # 41 of the spring album..what is that white vine behind your chair?

In your summer of 2004 album..in #1, what is that plant that is in the pot?

In #4, that seems like a very clear view of the arbor that I assume is what the pink rose in Summer 2005 is climbing on. It seems like such a long span of horizontal without vertical support and I wondered how you did that..lol.

#46 looks like some kind of sedum or sempervien? It is gorgeous! So nice and dark.

The final photo in that album of your hat on the metal birds hooks, is so sweet.

All in all, you have created a wonderful space to enjoy and also have great photo skills in which to present them. I enjoy the structure in your garden, the beautiful rocks, all the plants, the composition, and even the cats. Thanks so much for sharing it.

:-)

Adam

• Gardengal
    18 years ago

Rose,
    Your gift for design and composition are simply incredible. Your albums are inspirational, and I too, admit that their perfection leaves me feel wanting in my skills. None the less, thank you for sharing your lovely photos with us.

Gardengal

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Who needs anxiety medications when you can browse photos like that! lol. I feel so relaxed. It is true, there are no words.........

Those are some lucky slugs you got Rose!!!!!! Eutopia.

• Binky
    18 years ago

Same as mgood4u, I felt my blood pressure dropping as I watched. I think you could set this to music and sell it to hospitals or nursing homes, just as a meditation. It has more power in that it's one person's garden as opposed to a collage of various places in the world; it just makes it more personal. Thanks for sharing! You could also make a book out of this.

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Fantastic garden. I am jealous. You have done a remarkable job. Everything is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

• SwampRose_WA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everybody. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the garden pictures!

IÂm sorry, Adam, I havenÂt checked in here for a while and didnÂt see your post until now. IÂm glad you liked the pictures!

As for your questions... The rose and deck area is in full sun. My husband built the support for the climbing Fairy rose. Yes, those are foxgloves (they grow wild, and I transplanted some to the rose bed as an experiment) and delphinium behind the chair. The blue clematis on the obelisk is H.F. Young clematis. My talented nephew built the obelisk for me a couple years ago. There is also a President clematis on the same obelisk.

Yes, thatÂs The Fairy again in photo #2 hanging over the lavender.

As for spraying roses, I donÂt spray any of mine, including The Fairy. She puts out beautiful glossy green leaves in the spring, then the leaves turn yellow for a couple of weeks, then the bush is covered in tiny pink blossoms the rest of the summer. The yellowing leaf cycle seems normal for her, so I don't bother trying to "fix" it. My worst roses for blackspot are the hybrid teas, so I stopped planting those a long time ago. I've been planting tomatoes in the rose bed the last few years, and it seems to help with blackspot. Last summer I had no blackspot at all, even on Blaze, which is notorious for BS.

I've seen Zephy grow in semi-shady areas in other peoples gardens. She gets full sun in mine.

"Very pretty rhododendrons/azaleas? #32..what exactly is this plant?"

I really should label photos, shouldnÂt I? I think the one you're looking at is a cherry blossom.

"#33 Not sure what this plant is either?" The yellow one is Kerria japonica.

"In photo # 41 of the spring album..what is that white vine behind your chair?"

I had to look for it  itÂs actually branches from the cherry tree, covered in white blossoms. It does look like a vine in the picture.

"In your summer of 2004 album..in #1, what is that plant that is in the pot?"

That's Osteospermum, or African daisy. ItÂs perennial in my sisterÂs yard, 30 miles from here, but I have to plant it as an annual.

"In #4, that seems like a very clear view of the arbor that I assume is what the pink rose in Summer 2005 is climbing on. It seems like such a long span of horizontal without vertical support and I wondered how you did that..lol."

There are three vertical supports for it, not always visible in the pictures, and the horizontal section is actually two separate pieces. It has held up very well so far. I was worried that snow would weigh it down, but it hasnÂt.

"#46 looks like some kind of sedum or sempervien? It is gorgeous! So nice and dark."

I donÂt have the name of that and donÂt remember planting it  it may have come attached to another plant. It has always been a mystery to me how it got there.

Thanks again, everyone.

• SwampRose_WA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, #46 is hen and chicks. I was thinking of a different plant.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA