Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creepy Yellow Spider

Posted by gardener365 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 20:11

I was working next to this today. I left him alive. Legs to legs it's the size of a silver dollar.

Dax

Photobucket Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creepy Yellow Spider

I love these creatures. Not only are they beautiful, but they feed on insects that you do not want in your garden.
Thanks for sharing a beautiful picture.

o

My sister knew the scientific name and she said they are good for the garden too. Never have I see one in my years.

Here's a little info from Spiderz Rule:

Black and Yellow Argiope - Argiope Aurantia
This lovely spider only has a short life span and once she has produced one or more (usually no more than 3) brown, papery egg sacs, she will die. The egg sacs are roughly round in shape and up to 25 mm in diameter; each contains 300 to 1400 eggs. She attaches her egg sacs to one side of her web, close to her resting position at the centre. Each female will watch over her eggs as long as she can, but will die in the first hard frost, if not before. The eggs hatch in Autumn ( fall), but spiderlings stay in the sac during winter and emerge in spring. There is also a silver argiope which differs in that it has a metallic silver back.

Dax

o

Yes if they get in the way we just take a broom and move them to a better area as they do like to get in the driveway or in front of the doorways. People down here were calling them bannana spiders, as the seem to hang around our bannana plants, but bannana spiders aren't anything to mess with and these do a great job of keeping many bugs away from our home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here