Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

My front yard this week (with sunflowers)

alisande
18 years ago

The tall ones are SkyscrapersÂeight feet tall and deer-resistant. The deer greatly reduced the number of shorter varieties I started out with. Still, I've had a lot of compliments from drivers going by. The tree in front of the house is a Winesap apple tree, loaded with fruit. All the apple trees are loaded this year, although the apples look a little small, probably because of the heat and drought.

{{gwi:62845}}

Comments (4)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

What a beautiful setting!

~Rosemarie

• Anne12
    18 years ago

Absolutely no success with sunflowers this summer. Planted seeds in May, rain, rain and more rain then the weeds took over. Have a dozen plants in a 1/3 of an acre that bloomed. Too much rain? How does one rid an area of weeds? Anne

• Joeray
    18 years ago

It must be nice to have apple trees with apples in your yard, ready to be eaten. I live too far south (South Louisiana) to grow apples so I have to buy mine and frequently the quality is not very good. Do you have to spray your apple trees?

• alisande
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Joeray, we don't spray. As a result, the apples are often less than perfectÂbut they're perfectly usable. I'm used to cutting out the imperfections when necessary.

When my DH was well, the trees were pruned and otherwise cared for. These days, I do little more than admire them and enjoy the fruit.

Anne, about ridding an area of weeds: I created my sunflower patch a couple of years ago by laying down cardboard on part of the lawn. I added old horse manure, but just the cardboard would have done it. It killed the grass and encouraged worms. After one year I was able to easily put a shovel or trowel into it. This year the weeds showed up and got ahead of me, so I plan to do the cardboard thing again in the fall.

Susan