Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherca_gw

Before and After Photos

SherCA
18 years ago

I know, finally! Our yard has taken over a year to complete. We went from a yard with three large yuccas, three large pine trees, and an unsafe deck to a peaceful retreat. There was a lot of clearing to do. We actually cleared the yard completely so we would have a blank slate. It's not a big yard, but it is all we have, so we have tried to make the best of it. Like most gardens, it will always be a work in progress, but we are very happy with what we have accomplished. Follow the link below to see the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sher's Photos

Comments (6)

• flowergirl_VA
    18 years ago

Ooo! Before and afters! I love them! Very nice, and your grass is to die for!

• kal2769
    18 years ago

Those were huge yuccas! I don't know if I'd have had the heart to cut them down. Though in CA you probably see them everywhere. I love the "flowerbed" idea. Nice yard.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I like Before & Afters too! Nice transformation, Sher! Sometimes you just need to start over fresh. It looks great!

We did the same with our yards. It took a long time as well. I now wish we had used some type of permanent divider between sod & gardens though, like you have. One piece of advice (well, two, maybe) ~watch for grass invaders (weed seed blows in) & fix sprinklers right away if broken or spraying weirdly. Our sod doesn't look as great as in the beginning because of these 2 things. That's my hubby's problem, though, as I'm in charge of the gardens! LOL

The "flowerbeds" are cute!

~Rosemarie

• SherCA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

flowergirl - The grass is one of the highlights for all of us. No more dirt being tracked into the house! Our dog, Niki, seemed to enjoy it the most. LOL My husband and I put the sod down on a 100+ degree day, so we were glad it survived. The brown spots you see in the picture are even filling in.

Kal - The yuccas had to go. The two next to the fence were lifting the fence, and the other was right next to the foundation of the house. The neighbors on all three sides were cheering during the removal.

Sher

• SherCA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie - I tried to reply to your post earlier, but it didn't go through so far. You gave great advice! We were careful about placement of the new sprinkler system. So far, it is working great. Every spot gets watered very well. Our biggest challenge, as far as weeds, is nutgrass. We have been diligent in spraying it both while the area was just dirt and now. It is something I know we will probably always fight, but we have managed to thin it out a lot. I know what you mean about the garden being yours. My husband mows the lawn, but the rest is up to me. That's fine with me. I probably enjoy it the most anyway. I think when you do all the planning and planting, it makes you appreciate it more.
    Sher

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Sher, We put down about 1000 sf sod in the back yard. Got a dog (a surprise to me) making spots on the grass & a couple yrs down the road, half the sprinkler system wasn't working any more. Thought we'd use a hose sprinkler (though us humans are not so good at regular timed waterings~LOL). I think it's Bermuda grass that's invaded half of it. Sigh! We can still keep it green, it just isn't the tall Fescue we started with throughout.

We made an agreement too...me in charge of garden & him the lawn. Works well for us!

Enjoy your new patio & surroundings in peace!
    ~Rosemarie

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022