Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Wall Question

Posted by freedee New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 10:01

On the edge of my deck, I had a "plant wall" installed in lieu of a railing. I bought railings on Craigs list from a woman who changed her mind after she had these iron railings made, and I got them for a good price. What I now have is a regular railing, with a second railing parallel to it. There is a foot of space between them. My friend will try to post photos. (I tried for a couple of hours to post them and it didnt work.) I will try to describe what Ive done, and what I plan to do.
Ive already started to line the cavity between the railings with landscape fabric. Ive installed a drain on the bottom. I got 32 large bags of perlite. I was going to fill the cavity with perlite. I would open small holes all over the landscape fabric and insert plant plugs, (very small starter plants).

My question is can I do this with perlite only, should I add other ingredients? I will be installing a drip irrigation tube in the cavity. It will on a timer, so drying out should not be an issue. I read on this site that people sift perlite to get rid of the dust. Is that a good idea?

Image link: Plant Wall Question (28 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Wall Question

Perlite is really dusty. I would consider adding at least some peat for water retention (it's much lighter than soil). Please post pictures of the finished project . . . it looks great.
Dee

o

Wow. inspiring. can't wait to see it when it's planted.

o

Be sure to use plants that can take the cold. Like Sempervivums, some Sedums. It's okay to make bags of mix out of Panty Hose, and poke holes to put your plant cuttings. What about hanging baskets of plants. Some cacti may work if they don't get too heavy, and bring the whole thing down. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here