Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 cultivars of salvia leucantha

Posted by tntransplant_IA z6TN (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 13:14

really nice mexican sages, one new this year the other wintered over in the lebanon area with no mulch. they are about 6 feet tall.

Image link: 2 cultivars of salvia leucantha (46 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 cultivars of salvia leucantha

Nice ones. Thanks for sharing. I can never get mine to overwinter in the Texas Panhandle (zone 6b). But, I really like them so I treat them like an annual. Here's a couple of pix of mine this year.Texas red salvia in front with zinnias below.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Grown as an annual, when does S. leucantha bloom? (I'm a Californian transplanted to zone 4.)

o

mine started blooming probably about 6 weeks ago and is now buzzed by the frost we got a couple of nights ago but the flowers still look fine-leaves are a tad limp tho. wonderful plant and i highly recommend it.

o

Round here, late August until a hard frost (which we haven't really had yet). A good two months of blooms I'd say on average.

o
Also

they get tall and spread out. I usually only plant 4 to 6 to cover about 25 feet of bed. Early in the season they aren't terribly attractive as they grow. But, when fall arrives they are real show stoppers. So, I usually kind of hide mine behind some earlier bloomers until they hit their prime.

o

Luecantha and other salvias are our favorite for late summer and into fall. They attract hummingbirds and many insects. Bumble bees stay on the flowers during the night. We had a milder than usual winter last year and the ones we had last summer survived so we put in several more plants in the spring. All have grown and bloomed identically. I put chopped leaves mounded over the bases of the plants in the fall and removed it in spring. EP

o

Well, you give me hope EP. I'll give keeping them over here a little more effort.

And that is a lovely area you have in your photo. Can I drop by for a sit? :)

o

Gardening in our family is 'in the genes'. Having hope is essential. We are always pleased to welcome appreciative guests. We appreciate seeing other's efforts. Lots more on our photolink. EP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here