Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pronunciation of plants

Posted by tropiclson 9/10 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 16:03

Would anyone know of a good website that would help me learn how to say plant names correctly. It is almost embarrassing when I ask for a specific plant and the plant salesman will ask, "Do you mean....etc?"
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pronunciation of plants

A tall order! Have to say at the outset that none of the sites I've found have all the plant names. Here are the links I've amassed/bookmarked over the years. I think there's one or two that teach you how to pronounce Latin (the basics & all the rules), but not just botanical. That can get a bit complicated though.

Oh! Actually, it might be in your best interest (as I've found it works better) to know how to spell the plant names. You can pronounce them however you want that way (LOL) in order to write them on paper to show someone what you want!

This 1st one for self-pronouncing is broken up into 4 sections, but you can always backtrack to the original site for more info on other stuff (by deleting the last part of the URL up to the last slash mark (/).
A thru D
E thru L
M thru P
Q thru Z

Fine Gardening Pronunciation Guide
Home Grown
How to Say It
Pronunciation of Botanical Latin
You can click on speaker icon to hear some plant names

Several of my links were old & no good anymore~oh well!
HTH! Also remember, there will always be others who insist on pronouncing it a different way than you. That's okay, as long as you understand which plant you're talking about!
~Rosemarie

o

Rosemarie,

Thank you very much for the amazing list of websites. Those will come in handy and I appreciate you taking the time to list them all.

Larry

o

For hardy shrubs and trees, Go here. On each species, click on the little music symbol at the top. Once you hear a variety of latin names you will be able to pronounce most plant names. Of course different people pronounce them differently, and usually not as a latin scholar would ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here