Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skimmia

Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 16:35

We'd had one or two Skimmias in our garden for years, but they didn't thrive, and had hardly any berries. When I bought a male Skimmia to see if we'd get more berries, it died.

Last year I dug all three of them up, bought a new male Skimmia, and planted them all together, with lots of compost and bonemeal, in a place where they got shade all morning, but sun for a lot of the afternoon.

It seems to be working. But the odd thing is that even though it's October, the male Skimmia has flower buds opening. (You can just see some of them at the right edge of the picture). Maybe it's because we're having an odd sort of year. Even one of our rhododendrons that usually flowers in spring is blooming.

Image link: Skimmia (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skimmia

sorry to ask what is probably a silly question to you guys, but what is a skimmia and what do you use the berries for??????????? Tina

o

Tina, you use the berries for looking at. They are mildly toxic. These little shrubs are sold all over in winter (at least in the northern hemisphere!) often to poor saps who have no idea that you need a male for berries.

Herb, many spring-flowering shrubs do this. I guess Skimmia is the same. Nice bonus anyway, I think the flowers are much under-rated, like a big multi-coloured not-quite-so-fragrant Daphne.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skimmia flower

o

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 14:07

Shrubs -

You hit the nail on the head - it has these brilliant red berries. (And its a nice, tidy evergreen too.) I've never noticed any fragrance though - but I think I must have a defective sense of smell because I never detect any on Lonicera fragrantissima either, and not much on Daphne odora.

Herb

o

oh ok, thanks for that.......it's amazing the different plants you guys have compared to us....but I guess that works both ways!! Tina

o

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 0:26

It certainly works to our benefit - our next door neighbour has just planted a Eucalyptus. Some of them grow really fast here.

H.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here