Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododenrum in flower now???

Posted by GeoffHandley Shropshire, UK (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 18:30

Saw this in full flower at Ness Gardens last week. Not just a stray branch but the whole bush. Could not tell what the name was as it was at the back of a very wide border.

Image link: Rhododenrum in flower now??? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododenrum in flower now???

It certainly does look like a rhododendrum to me.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

There are Rhododendrons that normally flower in autumn, but I don't know what this one is.

o

I would telephone the garden and ask! Someone there should be happy to give you the identification. I'm curious to know what it is.

o

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 19:11

I think it's caused by some peculiarity of the 2005 weather. Some of our rhodos & Azaleas that normally flower in spring have been trying to flower, and one - a red one - has been flowering strongly for the past month.

o

• Posted by Joyce Zone 7b LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 19:29

I have several Rhodies AND Azaleas in bloom now.
Yes, we had a horrible drought, no rain from July-September...and now over 20" of rain in October.
The plants think it's spring again.
My Amaryllis is blooming already too!

o

Beautiful color. NOTHING in bloom here, we got a killing frost.

o

Yes, it's lovely. My pink azalea that came to me as a pot plant at least ten Chrismas's ago is now in full flower in the garden. It has it's own raised border which I keep well topped up with ericasious (sorry may be misspelt!) soil. It flowers generally right through the milder times of autumn, winter and spring and is about two and half feet across!

o

Looks like rhododendrum to me too. Some of my azaleas are still blooming. I think the crazy hurricane weather we've had here in Florida made all the plants wonder what's going on! I have spring bulbs coming up in pots too.

Suz

o

I live in zone 5 and my white and purple Rhododendrons are blooming, as well.

o

I sent an E-mail to Ness gardens and received this the other day. So perhaps normal flowering time. We have not had an unusual season this side of the pond.

Dear Geoff,
The Rhododendron is Rosa Mundi or Christmas Cheer they are very similar and we always have arguments as to the correct name.
It is unusual to have so much flower at this time of the year but they are good garden plants.
best wishes
Paul Cook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here