Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf cyclamen

Posted by GeoffHandley Shropshire, UK (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 18:38

I found this in the alpine house at Ness Bonic gardens yesterday. I really like the foliage, but unfortunately I do not know the name. I forgot to take my note book with me.

Image link: Dwarf cyclamen (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf cyclamen

Very nice. It looks to me to be Cyclamen coum of the Pewter Strain or Pewter group. But who knows? It's beautiful!

~Rosemarie

o

I don't think this is C. coum. It shouldn't be in full flower this early, the leaf patterning isn't right, and the flowers are the wrong shape.

I think its a C. purparescens, for three reasons. First, it apparently has purpurescens-type flowers, look at the bottom where the petals all meet and the relatively non-propeller shape of the petals. Second, the slight leaf patterning at the edge of the leaves is like the edge of normal purpuresecns leaf patterning. And third, and this really should clinch it, isn't that what the partially obscured label reads? Strange that it should be indoors, its fully hardy.

o

I think i might agree with sbrubs_n_bulbs. I have just examined the label on the original picture by zooming in and its says ....scens. and I think Cyclamen purpurescens is the only one with that ending.
I can understand why they put it indoors. It was on staging so it was easy to admire and heavy rain is kept off which would spoil the flowers. They seemed to have had the doors jammed open so they weren't trying to keep it warm. They also had some named forms of Cyclane hederfolium in there as well.

o

Lovely Cyclamen. I agree with purpurascens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here