Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Pyracantha

Posted by shrubs_n_bulbs z8/9 UK (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 10:41

The branches are literally weighed down to the ground with berries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Pyracantha

Wow! What a fabulous display! The berries do look kind of red. Yours are orange too, aren't they? All of the ones I've seen have been orange.

Nancy

o

This is a cultivar with red berries. They go straight from green to red. I have another where the berries go orange and then deepen to red.

o

Do your birds get drunk on the berries? Our robins get sauced.

o

The birds never manage to finish all the berries but they do try! I don't know if they get drunk, I've never seen my robin lying in the gutter :)

o

Wonderful color for this time of year!

I bet my birds would like this - maybe I should get some too.

o

I found this old picture of what it takes to produce all those berries. The white branches at the back are Pyracantha flowers.

o

That's a gorgeous shrub in flower and in fruit! It's a bonus to have weeks ( or months) of color when the flowers are gone.

o

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. Beautiful.

o

Do you have to prune yours to make it produce the flowers/fruit so concentrated on the branches? That is really neat! I like both pix of it!!

I have a red-berried one as well. (Well, a deep orange-red.) My Pyracantha is half dead. A large part of it is gone (I cut it last year & miss it). The other half isn't faring well either. I still don't know what caused its decline. :(

My Mama always told us the berries were poisonous. I've never checked into that. Is that why the comment on drunk birds?

~Rosemarie

o

I think the berries are toxic to use but the birds do love them. Pyracantha flower and fruit very heavily when they are happy and they don't need any special pruning or treatment to do it. But they are also prone to diseases, being in the rose family. This is a particularly disease-resistant cultivar but another plant I have would probably be dead of scab if I didn't spray it in spring. I'm going to replace it with another one of the strong ones, maybe with yellow berries.

o

I'll have to look for a red one. The geranium in front of the 2nd pic is gorgeous. What variety is it? I have 5 or 6 but they never grow. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do they take a lot of water and rich soil? If so, I'm probably out of luck! ;-)

Nancy

o

My parents' house (SF Bay Area) has several of them and I used to sample the berries as a child--despite having been told many times never to eat any red berry--and I survived. Of course, this might just mean they're only mildly toxic or I have some weird immunity. As to avian drunkenness, I always thought it was because the berries had fermented. Regarding pruning, my parents never prune theirs, but they do seem to bear heavily only every other year.

o

The Geranium is G. regelii, it is fairly similar to G. pratense. It is a species and will self-seed. I grew this one from seed two or three years ago. It is large and has large flowers, showy as you can see, but pretty much just for a few weeks in spring. They are quite tolerant, but do best with regular water and decent soil although this one is in a dry spot under a tree with fairly thin soil and just morning sun. They'd probably go semi-dormant in summer in Arkansas as the spring foliage fried, then flush out again later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here