Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrubs_n_bulbs

Definitely not winter yet ...

shrubs_n_bulbs
18 years ago

Forecasts of a dire freeze tonight prompted me to catch some of the last summer flowers.

The new rockery is developing nicely even if some of the plants are still summer bedding space fillers.

{{gwi:64194}}

Comments (11)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Fuschias usually flower well past the first frost.
    {{gwi:64197}}

Here's some in a different part of the garden.
    {{gwi:64199}}

No, its not a late Himalayan Lily, but Nicotiana sylvestris.
    {{gwi:64201}}

These Pelargoniums against a warm wall also flower past the first frosts. The red ones aren't quite so hardy.
    {{gwi:64204}}

This is a Marigold I grew from seed. It isn't the same hybrid as the rest of them but has proved to be very large and hardy.
    {{gwi:64207}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Good thing you caught 'em before the frost did! A nice walk around your garden! Will frost turn foliage black for you?

~Rosemarie

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We don't usually get a series of freezes early in the season combined with dry weather here, so no, things don't tend to go black. They tend to just go mushy and collapse! Might be different this year though, my five-day forecast is showing temps below freezing every night and no significant rain.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is this the sort of thing?

{{gwi:64209}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Yes, that's Its Ugliness! I've only had it happen twice & it only affected 2 types of plants. The ones sheltered near house or fence were okay, but any out in the open looked like those above. Are they yours?

~R

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, this is my collection of puny Cannas. My soil is far too lean for them to do well, nor is it hot enough or sunny enough. I'll probably dig them up next year and put in something better suited.

• SherCA
    18 years ago

Any frost damage I have experienced in the past looked the same as yours. However, it was at another location. We are only about 12 miles away now. I am waiting to see what my "new" yard will look like after the first frost. There are many plants that I have never had before, so this is my learning year.
    Sherrie

• geoffhandley
    18 years ago

Sbrubs - whats it look like now. Last night froze up all the washer bottles in the cars and pavements were white with frost and we are not that far away.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is what the Cannas look like today :)

{{gwi:64211}}

• Nushka_IA
    18 years ago

Oh, how I long for the days (in California) when I'd fret because the baby's tears and the helichrysum got a little blackened! Last Wednesday night our low (in Iowa) was 3 degrees (F).

Shrubs n Bulbs: What's the tidy mound of what looks like rosettes in the center of your first shot? A sempervivum?

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Blackened Baby's Tears? I wish! I'm starting to think I have some form of turbo-charged Baby's Tears, it has never shown any kind of stress in all the years that it has tried to take over my paths and lawn. I just checked and after a string of nights around 25F it looks good enough for the show table :(

The rosette plant is Saxifraga 'Knapton Pink'. Nice display in spring. There are about half a dozen different Saxifrages in this bed, but they all seem to have avoided the camera :(
    {{gwi:64213}}

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County