Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Century plant questions

Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 23:48

Someone gave me several small century plants all in a 10" pot.
When can I plant these in the yard, and should I seperate each small plant or keep them all in a clump? Will they grow fast? Should I feed them? Not sure of the species but the leaves are light green and don't have spines on them.
Sorry I'm not much help but can't post a photo. Will try to find a forum that I can post the photo.
Thanks for your time and have a nice Sunday.

Image link: Century plant questions (4 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Century plant questions

• Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 23:49

This is not the original picture but I found one online that looks like it.

o

All Agaves have a sharp terminal spine on each leaf. If your plant does not have them, it must be something else.
Assuming it really is an agave, there are only a couple with smooth leaf margins that look like the plant you linked:

Agave vilmoriniana

Agave attenuata

Brad

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 15:32

It looks like Agave attenuata, which has a point on the end of the leaf, but it's not very sharp. They form nice clumps, and prefer morning sun/afternoon shade here. You can separate or let them form a clump. Too much sun and they sunburn, too much shade and they get elongated and droopy. They grow everywhere around here.

Above all, good drainage and no frost. Here they grow well on no irrigation (12" of winter rain only). Common name Foxtail Agave (foxtail-like bloom spike).

o

• Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 1:23

Yes it does look like the attenuata (foxtail).
I'll keep them in morning sun and afternoon shade.
Thanks so very much for ya'll help.
I really appreciate it. Now I can put them in the ground where they belong.
Have a nice week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here