Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springa7

Photos from the past season cont'd

springa7
18 years ago

Here are a few more of my photographs from last season -

Goldenrod in bloom in a field, with several insects on it - (these don't look quite like yellowjackets, bumblebees, or honeybees - they might be some type of wasp)

{{gwi:64733}}

A large mullein growing along a sidewalk near my house - generally considered a weed, but more attractive one than most. Normally the grounds along this sidewalk get the weeds along them cut back multiple times, but for some reason this past year they didn't clear the area of weeds until the end of July, by which point some parts of the sidewalk were half-covered with various weeds. This area was cleared out and the plants torn up not long after this picture was taken

{{gwi:64734}}

I saw this plant in a pot at a local Arboretum and had to get a picture. I admit that I have no idea what it is, but it looks cool!

{{gwi:64735}}

Common milkweed (Ascepius Syriaca) in bloom, with grapevines around it. These are, in my opinion, two of the most attractive native "weeds".

{{gwi:64736}}

A mass of trees, shrubs, and vines between a field and a roadside near my house. Plants include Bush Honeysuckles (non-native, invasive) with bright red berries, Oriental Bittersweet vines (non-native, very invasive) with small, alternate leaves, and grapevines (native, non-invasive but they can still be aggressive).

{{gwi:64738}}

A branch of a Mulberry tree that is growing amid a clump of bushes, vines, and a couple of larger trees. I first noticed it because of the fallen fruit. I'm not sure whether it's the native Red Mulberry or the non-native White Mulberry.

{{gwi:64740}}

This mallow (malva) looks almost identical to the ones growing in the "official" garden, but it has been sprouting in this narrow area of soil between the driveway and a stone wall for 3 years now. Apparently this plant is fairly hardy!

{{gwi:64742}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz