Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photos from the past season cont'd

Posted by springa7 z5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 1:17

Here are a few more of my photographs from last season -

Goldenrod in bloom in a field, with several insects on it - (these don't look quite like yellowjackets, bumblebees, or honeybees - they might be some type of wasp)
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

A large mullein growing along a sidewalk near my house - generally considered a weed, but more attractive one than most. Normally the grounds along this sidewalk get the weeds along them cut back multiple times, but for some reason this past year they didn't clear the area of weeds until the end of July, by which point some parts of the sidewalk were half-covered with various weeds. This area was cleared out and the plants torn up not long after this picture was taken

I saw this plant in a pot at a local Arboretum and had to get a picture. I admit that I have no idea what it is, but it looks cool!

Common milkweed (Ascepius Syriaca) in bloom, with grapevines around it. These are, in my opinion, two of the most attractive native "weeds".

A mass of trees, shrubs, and vines between a field and a roadside near my house. Plants include Bush Honeysuckles (non-native, invasive) with bright red berries, Oriental Bittersweet vines (non-native, very invasive) with small, alternate leaves, and grapevines (native, non-invasive but they can still be aggressive).

A branch of a Mulberry tree that is growing amid a clump of bushes, vines, and a couple of larger trees. I first noticed it because of the fallen fruit. I'm not sure whether it's the native Red Mulberry or the non-native White Mulberry.

This mallow (malva) looks almost identical to the ones growing in the "official" garden, but it has been sprouting in this narrow area of soil between the driveway and a stone wall for 3 years now. Apparently this plant is fairly hardy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photos from the past season cont'd

All nice pix & commentary! Nice to visit the past, isn't it?!

The plant in your third pic is Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' (or 'Fire Sticks', I forget). Some call it Flaming Pencil Tree.

~Rosemarie

o

"The plant in your third pic is Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' (or 'Fire Sticks', I forget). Some call it Flaming Pencil Tree."

Thanks! I know very little about euphorbia, cacti, and other succulent plants, so "that one looks pretty cool" is usually the most insightful comment I can make!

o

You're welcome! I have amassed quite a few succulents now & identifying plants is just part of my obsession! LOL I have a Euphorbia tirucalli that is as tall as the edge of my roof now. (A monster!)

~Rosemarie

o

Great pictures, I really enjoyed your commentary. Makes me lonesome for summer already.

Thanks

Valerie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here