{{gwi:64790}}

{{gwi:58027}}

{{gwi:64791}}

{{gwi:64793}}

{{gwi:64795}}

Comments (38)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Absolutely beautiful shots of the color & foliage, Dan! Where have you been hiding?! :P More, more, more!

Which is that BLUE Clematis? I drool...I mean...I WANT!

I like the way you have the rocks in the garden bed. Nice!

~Rosemarie

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, Glad you liked the pictures. I've actually been hiding in the conifer forum and maple forum galleries. The clematis, I'm not positive about but I think is 'Multiblue'. I got about 6 different clematis for $2.50 each at the end of the year one year and this was one of them. Dan

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

those are beautiful, dan.
    is the pink clematis with stripes 'sugar candy'?
    the one i have with that name looks very similar(came in a collection, also).
    which conifer in the last pic? i really like the colors on that one but it is probably something that would not take the heat down here.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Aha! I didn't even know we HAD a Maple Forum! Ha! I'll have to check it out.

I didn't notice before...you have an audience in the 1st pic! LOL

I think I've noted 'Multi-blue' before from other posters' pix. That sounds about right.

~R

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeff you may be correct. The clematis is either 'Sugar Candy' or 'Dr. Ruppel'. I unfortunately don't keep very good records and my brain is currently filled with latin names for conifers. The conifer in the last picture is Picea alcoquiana 'Howell's Dwarf'. This spruce is more commonly listed by its former name of Picea bicolor 'Howell's Dwarf' (or Howell's Dwarf tigertail).(Its listed as Z4-7) Dan.

• lisa_b
    18 years ago

Thanks, Dan, for all the fabulous photos. They are outstanding; look better than some magazine/catalog photos. Everything looks so healthy! I would especially like to view some photos from a distance, to get an idea of your beds.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lisa , I don't really have any distant pictures of my beds at this point. I've only lived in my current house for less than five years and my taste in plants is a bit eclectic, so its a work in progress. Give me about five more years and I'm sure I'll have pictures to impress. Thanks,
    ^^^Dan^^^

• mckenna
    18 years ago

Dan, what are your local sources for some of your maples & conifers? All I really know about locally is Rich's Foxwillow Pines. What kind of sun is your Aureum & Autumn Moon in? Great work with the landscaping, most of mine is still in my head. I chip away at it every spring.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mckenna, I got a lot of my plants mail order, but my 'local' sources are Rich's and Sid's nursery in Palos Park. They have a fairly good selection of larger Japanese maples and they get quite a few conifers from Iseli. I got the Acer palmatum 'Katsura' and the Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' from there. (Here's a better picture.)

{{gwi:64797}}

The 'Aureum' is planted underneath a Redbud tree so it gets dappled sunlight in the afternoon and only gets direct sun in the early evening. The 'Autumn Moon' is planted on the west side, fairly close to the house so it gets full sun from pretty much 2:00 on. I also tackle the landscaping a little at a time. I have two year old triplet daughters so I don't get to spend as much time as I would like in the garden but I'm sure they'll be great 'helpers' in a few years like their big sister. I've got another conifer/japanese maple garden planned for this coming year. I'll post pictures when its finished. ^^^Dan^^^

• lynne_il
    18 years ago

Dan, these pics are gorgeous. I was an avid gardener in Chicago suburbs for a very long time, but my yard looked no where nice as yours. Is gardening just a hobby? Have you had any training?

I'm now in Florida so I get to enjoy gardening for more months. I kept telling myself, keep it simple, remember the upkeep, but that lasted for a very short time

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lynne, glad you liked the pictures. Yep, just a hobby,learning as I go. Thanks^^^Dan^^^

• mckenna
    18 years ago

Thanks for the local source. I will have to check it out this spring. I only have a 1 year old daughter right now, but she keeps me out of the garden plenty. Triplets, wow. How is your landscape not all plastic toys and playhouses :) ?

• alabamajan
    18 years ago

Dan...Your pics are amazing! I love conifers and am planning a Japanese/conifer garden. They look so cool season to season. You'll probably be getting alot of questions from me.

In the first picture. What kind of tree is that on the far left??? Thank-you.....jan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jan, if you are referring to the conifer in this picture, its Picea abies 'Acrocona'.

{{gwi:64799}}

• krensgarden
    18 years ago

Hi Dan, What gorgeous pictures you have shared, how large is your garden? I love the dwarf conifers and Japanese maples, you certainly have a knack for growing them to perfection. I'm just a zone colder, so haven't had any luck with them, but thanks for letting me enjoy yours!

When your children grow a bit older you'll have a garden crew to work with...wow, triplets....and you still have to time to garden. ;-)
    Thanks for the uplifting pictures; they give me more reasons why I can't wait for spring either. Karen

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen, thanks for the compliments. I consider it pretty high praise from someone with a garden as beautiful as yours. My 'garden' is more a series of beds, none of which are very big. My back yard is about 90'wide and about 50' deep. My wife wants it to be all grass for our 4 girls but each year I try to carve out a new small area that is out of the way and won't interfere with the play area. The garden below is one of the largest and its only about 15' x 20'. I wish I had more space. Thanks, Dan

{{gwi:64801}}

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Beautiful garden. What are the plants growing near the rocks? I have the same rock wall and have moss phlox growing there, but it dries out. I'll be replacing it next year. Also, what is the name of the iris in the third picture? Its so pretty. Thanks.
    Evelyn

• krensgarden
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Wow, looking at the pictures I assumed your garden was at least an acre, you have your own botanical garden on a city lot! I bet your neighbors have approached you for landscaping advice; it takes great talent to create a garden of such beauty within smaller confines.

We travelled to Rich's Foxwillow this summer and brought home some tiny trees in 6" pots but it will be years before they approach the beauty yours have attained. Dwarf conifers add so much color and structure to the landscape, especially in the winter this far north. Do you have any winter pictures you could share with us? I'd love to see them, too. Thank you Dan! Karen

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Dan, there's another question for you on my post about the TOS. Hee hee! The only downside of not starting the post...you don't get e-mails with the follow-up replies. (Why I'm here...in case you didn't see that query!) :D

~R

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i needed to view some wonderful garden photos and stumbled onto yours, dan. absolutely gorgeous. you can see all your hard work and a very keen eye. very inviting. thank you for sharing.

maryanne

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maryanne, glad you liked the pictures and thanks for the kind words. Dan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Evelyn, sorry I didn't address your question earlier, if you could be more specific about which plants you're referring to I'd be glad to answer your question, Thanks, Dan.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    No problem. I was referring to the beautiful pink/burgundy iris in your 3rd photo. What is the name of it? Its so pretty! Your garden, btw, is just beautiful! I can't wait for Spring either!

Thanks,

Evelyn

• pearlgirl
    18 years ago

Dan, everything is so beautiful and natural....a breath of
    fresh air!!! Did you do all of the landscape yourself? I love how you've incorporated the conifers and other trees among everything else. Very nice pics.

Margaret

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Evelyn, I've tried to find the name for the Iris that you wanted to know about but couldn't find it and unfortunately cannot remember the name. I have one more thing to try. I'm going to go to the nursery that I bought it from and if I can find the name I'll e-mail you. Dan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Margaret, thanks for the compliments. Yes I did all the landscaping myself. The garden with the conifers and water feature I built in 2 days. There is 17,000 lbs of rock dirt and gravel in the garden. Its amazing what you can accomplish in a couple of days with a wheelbarrow, a 600 lb capacity dolly and passion for what you're doing.(and a babysitter to help watch the triplets) Thanks, Dan

• carlos42180
    18 years ago

That pink clematis is 'Nelly Moser.' I have it growing in my year. The iris seems to be 'Spin-Off' but I'm not sure.

Carlos

Brighton Park Iris
    http://www.brightonparkiris.com/

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Carlos,
    Thank you for identifying the iris. Its a beauty!
    Evelyn

• buckymill
    18 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your photos, thank you so much for sharing. I am new to the midwest and you are an inspiration for me!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Buckymill, Glad you enjoyed the photos. I used to be envious of people in warmer zones. Now I'd rather be a rule breaker in Zone 5. After all anyone can grow Japanese Maples in Z8 Oregon right? Good luck with your garden! Thanks Again, Dan

• wildhill
    18 years ago

I could swear your clematis is Dr. Ruppel as I have the same one. Nellie Moser has slightly fainter hues and is a little more washed out. I just looked it up again in Random House Book of Shrubs and it sure looks like Dr. Ruppel. Not that it really matters...it is a beauty.

• botrytisfree
    18 years ago

Loved looking at your pictures. I get a chance to see a LOT of flowers in my work, and yours are right up there with any of them....

• jenndes
    18 years ago

I'm in love w. your close-up, clear japanese maple photo. My hobbies are macro flora & fauna digital photography (display & sell) mixed with my passion for gardening. Your garden is, of course, gorgeous - such a great deal of work you've put into it and nice choices of plants. Thank you for sharing!

• birdbite
    18 years ago

your garden is absolutely beautiful! In the first photo you have 3 yellow flowering plants in the front of the bed. Could you tell me what the center one is? Is it blue spruce sedum or something else? Thanks.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Birdbite, yes you are correct. Dan

• birdbite
    18 years ago

thanks Dan! I bought a few of those late last year but mine haven't bloomed yet. I love the look!

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Dan,your gardens are absolutely Beautiful!! I especially love the iris.and those conifers.I've never really looked at those(conifers)close up.They look pretty good though.TFS
    Kathi

• gordon43812
    17 years ago

If you decide that you longer want the blue flower with the red center in the middle of the first photo I'll take that right off your hands. Thats the cutest plant you have. Your gardens are lovely. Just amazing.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!