Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercyful35

My first garden

mercyful35
18 years ago

Well I think I have the pic posting down now. Took a few tries on the test forum but here it goes.

Here are a few pics of my garden project that started in the sping of 2005. We just built our home fall of 2002 at this is my very first flower garden. I orginally started this project to keep the neighbors run off from heavy rains and overwatering of his yard from out of our yard. I had a lot of fun doing this and the garden turned out really well for the first year. I am now planning on putting in another one this coming spring.

{{gwi:64898}}
{{gwi:64901}}
{{gwi:64902}}
{{gwi:64904}}

Comments (19)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Job well done!!
    What a transformation! All your hard work paid off!

~Rosemarie

• mamakane
    18 years ago

Rosemarie said it nicely -- WOW!

That's really a great garden for a first try. I always have several tries before I'm satisfied with mine.

• mercyful35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much. I have so many hobbies, all outdoor hobbies, but this one totally took over every thing I do this year. I love to camp, but only went once this year. I was out every day after work dead heading and enjoying the flowers. We had so many bees and it was really neat to just sit on the wall at let them buzz around and watch them work the garden. The asters and mums seemed to attract them most. This year I am going to put in trellis's up against the fence and grow some different flowering vines to get more height. Can't wait until spring.
    Thanks again, it really means a lot to me.
    Dan

• jhl1654
    18 years ago

Very nice!!!!!!! not bad at all for a 1st timer

• Garden_Momma
    18 years ago

A garden well done!!! Very nice...

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Great job!! Please post more pics as your garden matures. Love it!! Polly

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Love it,you did very well,and since this is just your first,i can't wait to see your 5th.LOl Keep up the good work!!
    Kathi

• FlowerLady6
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness. What a wonderful, lovely 1st garden you have. I bet you can hardly wait to see this year's gardens. All the work is really a big part of the enjoyment in having a garden.

Great job ~ FlowerLady

• SherCA
    18 years ago

As said before . . . WOW! I will add fabulous! I really liked how you used different heights, both with plantings and with your beds. ~Sherrie

• breezy494
    18 years ago

Wow! That's nice! It's so neat and organized. I need help with mine. I just need some inspiration.

• krensgarden
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful garden with all of us! I really like your use of the curving lines and varying heights. The asters are beautiful, do you happen to know what variety they were? I'd like to try some this year.
    It sounds like the gardening bug has bitten you, too. ;-) We don't leave our garden very much during the summer months either as there's always work to do on it, but the two of the main reasons we garden is because we love watching the plants change from day to day and year to year and the serenity we gain from just being outdoors.
    I hope you will share your 2006 garden with us all too!
    Thanks again for letting us into your private oasis. Karen

• mercyful35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Karen, the pic with the bee are Belgian Mums. I bought them through Spring Hill Nursery. I haven't seen them for sale since I bought them. I have since taken cuttings and started several plants and have given some away to my neighbors. I think I started working on this project in March so only a couple months till I can get out and get started again. I can't wait.
    Thanks again for all the wonderful comments.
    Dan-O

• buckymill
    18 years ago

I would be so proud, this is great!

• mariesgarden
    18 years ago

great

• shirl36
    18 years ago

You get an A+ for your "first" garden. Wonder just what your second garden will look like..."It's kinda fun, ain't it!!" Thanks for sharing....Shirl36

• des180
    18 years ago

That looks really good! Your done a great job. You planned it well. Good stuff..
    Did you make those borders? Or do you buy them like that? Ive never seen them, here in Australia. I like them.

• mercyful35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The borders are pieces cut from Landscape Timbers from Lowes. They come in 8 foot pieces. I dug a trench 10 inches deep and then filled in around them.

• gingergaia
    18 years ago

Great First garden. I admire all that work. Looks pretty too.I edged out mine beds with cut fallen trees, but those are starting to rot and it won't be long till I have to replace them.How are the timber cuts held together? Looking forward to more. Ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger's Flower Garden

• mercyful35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When I put them in the trench I made sure they were plumb and level and then I used 3" strips of card board and stapled the strip to the back of the timbers. Once I got several feet held in place with the strips I would fill in the trech around the timbers. That seemed to hold them in place very well. I started to toe nail the timbers together with nails and hammer by putting the nails from the top of one piece and angled down into the next. This didn't work as when hitting with a hammer it threw off the plumbness of the timber. If you had a pneumatic nail gun that would work great. I had thought about renting one and then came up with the cardboard strip idea. Once the garden was filled in with top soil I removed the strips.

Sponsored