Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Yard

Posted by romanpot 8, Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 13:58

Look at our front yard. The previous grass bed was dag out and replanted with low heathers, box, perennials and wooly thyme. It is a very low maintenance bed. We and our neighbours like it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Yard

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:42

Looking great! How long did it take you to get this done?

Jim

o

I just turned the grass sod over and planted directly into it. It was done in a week.
This picture is taken one year later.

o

Wow! That is really lovely! did you do anything special to your soil before you planted? You say this used to be a lawn? Well done.

o

Very nice

o

I did not do anything special to the soil. The turned over grass sod dissintegrated into a great, rich soil and all plants are doing well in it.

o

That's what I do, but I use Roundup on the lawn first and then wait a couple of weeks before turning over the sod. That eliminates any 'problems' that might occur.
Nice job! You paid attention to scale and made it all fit. I like the rocks too. Ya went big! Big rocks go well with small plants. They don't hide them. Most people like to plant in front of rocks which eventually hides them. That's what you don't want.
Again, good job.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

o

Love "before" and "after" pictures. How do you call the plants that sit at the spot edje, with yellow flowers?
Also would like to know how another plant made through the year. At "before" picture the one with variegated leaves (I guess) just at the left side to the pink Dianthus. And how do you call it as well?
Thanks!!

o

I like to spade. I used to do it for relaxation when I had a desk job for a large corporation here in Seattle. Spading was the first thing I did after coming home from work and the weather permitted it. An hour or so and I was down to 'normal'. I would double dig and not let one blade of grass show. That was more important than how much I got done. It's not about the amount of stress, but the type of stress that leaves you satisfied. I'm happy working, and have a hard time doing nothing. That's when I'm stressed.
Again, good job.
Romanpot, do you have an update? :-)
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here