Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Garden Photos

Posted by aimeekitty zone 9 (SW 18) socal (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 16:31

Thanks for all the advice you guys! I've learned a lot in the past couple months even though I'm sure I'll still end up making mistakes.

We finally got most of the plants in the ground this week and I wanted to share with you guys.

I live in SW 18

Basically, .... The left/back area is mostly roses with lavender and some low-growing camellias with penstemon, poppies and fleabane daisies mixed near the front...
... and then part of the sidewalls are lined with wisteria and star jasmine (I'll be adding in some clematis in the spring.)
the A/C will be hidden with white bicolor morea, white muscari and bearded irises. There's also a california lilac on the front/right area.

the small tree to the left back is a pink crape myrtle. And the small weeping tree near the center front is snowfountain weeping sakura. (leaving a space around it before the lawn starts) and then the more branchy tree near the right back is a kwanzan double-pink sakura.

The bare left corner there (in the below photo) will hopefully have an arbor covered in off-white Sombreuil and Gloire de Dijon climbing roses. Behind it, in the corner itself, will be light pink cl. Eden rose. :)

There are a lot of other roses back there, too (in the left/back area) ... some are arriving in January. My final rose list for the backyard ended up being:
Sombreuil
Gloire de Dijon
Eden
Belle Storey
Lady Banks
Compte de Chambord
Tiffany Hybrid Tea
Reine des Violettes
Sydonie
Raubritter
William Shakespeare 2000
Jude the Obscure
James Galway
Mortimer Sackler

The colors of most of the plants are purple (rosemary, wisteria, lavendar, lilac and bearded irises), light pink (roses, penstemon, camellias), dark red (roses), and white/light yellow (roses, poppies, daisies, bearded irises, star jasmine, muscari, bicolor morea, agapanthus). There are no bright yellows, pure reds or oranges.

Inbetween the broken concrete patio, there will be whooly thyme, and the large patch of darker dirt you see in the middle is going to be lawn. Most of this is going to be done before New Years!

one slightly closer up photo so you can see the rose babies.

I'm hoping once things grow in that it will look kindof like this

scrapped-together-in-photoshop-panoramic-overhead-view taken a few hours before the above photos.
Don't mind the jagged lines,... the lawn shape is actually softly curving, but it's a bad photoshop mashup. The patio is a curved shape, too.

and then if you're curious, the patio started out like this (below). I'm so glad I was able to have a landscaper do this for me. It looked like a lot of work!

and our backyard looked like this just a couple weeks ago:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Garden Photos

Wow, you have been busy! Can't wait to see it when it's all grown up! I have sedum album (a very green low growing groundcover that blooms white) if you would like some ground cover. I love this stuff, it's small leaved, easy to plant or remove if desired. And it grows like crazy. Anyway, job well done!
Dee

o

thanks, Dee! :)

o

we have grass today! hurray!

o

Looks great with the grass in, and the patio rocks look good too. I've done a little rock laying around our yard and it's a lot work. Hope all our rain hasn't made a mess of things! I'm in the San Luis Obispo area and aside from a little mud washing into places it wasn't wanted my yard has faired well. Can't wait for this rain to stop and Spring to get here.
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Photo Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here