Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosescope

Do you have Christmas lights?

RoseScope
18 years ago

Do you have Christmas lights in your front or back yard or maybe at home?
Please show it to us. I will do it later.

Comments (14)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

You mean...do we have them up NOW?

Here's a couple pix from '03. Not that great, as I didn't know much about using my digital in the dark with lights!
    Click on pix for larger view.
    Front of our house~tree trunk, Firethorn bush & window:
    {{gwi:65040}} {{gwi:65041}} Not the greatest pix, but there they are!
    Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all!
    ~Rosemarie (The Expert Procrastinator...but Reforming!)

• RoseScope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie, you get me right - I mean any illuminations or decorations that are on display now or it was captured few years ago. It could be lights of your neighbor or Christmas decorations in down town.

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

{{gwi:65042}}

• acambece
    18 years ago

WoW! That looks great!!!

Cambece

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Ooo, those are PRETTY, natvtxn!

~R

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

Thank you. I must confess, I can't take the credit. My best friend and I are both widows. Since it has only been 17 months since my DH passed away I am having a hard time facing the holidays. Diane insisted on doing the outside lights. She even climbed through the attic, out a dormer and onto the porch roof to hang some of the large whites on the oak tree.
    I told her I hope her butt is as hard as her head!

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Well, YOU took the picture & it looks great! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. The holidays are especially rough. My mom loved Christmas lights & I still sigh when I see them, remembering her...even though it's been 17 yrs since she's been gone. Tell Diane BRAVO for a job well done & for being so brave. The roof is not my favorite place! It's nice you have a friend like her!

I'm tempted to go around town tonight & snap some light displays I've seen. Hmmm...we shall see!

Alex, are you going to show us yours???
    ~Rosemarie

• RoseScope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Firsr two old pictures taken on front and third new one  lights in back yard
    {{gwi:65043}}
    {{gwi:65044}}
    {{gwi:65045}}
    Alex

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

The above pic. was taken with the flash turned off. This one is with the flash turned on.

{{gwi:65046}}

• geoffhandley
    18 years ago

We don't have lights but quite a few people in our town have been putting them up. There seems to be some sort of unofficial competetion going on. I think this one is in the running for being best.
    {{gwi:65047}}
    P.S. If you click on the link you can see the photo in more detail and see some of the other houses.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Nice lighting on your house, shrubs & trees, Alex! I like the look of that tree with snow on it!

Natvtxn, I can't decide which I like better...with or without flash! Looks neat either way!

Geoff, Yep...some people seem to be in a competition...or else they just LOVE lights! I enjoyed seeing all the pix in your album!

As it turns out, I took so many pix of people's houses around town, I decided to use some of those Flickr albums like Geoff. I had a bit of trouble when uploading, so I ended up with 3 albums (click link below to see all). One album is of a house (last April) with many Roses & Epidendrum in their front yard. It just so happens that house is included in my Christmas lights album.
    Here's one pic to start you off.
    {{gwi:65048}}
    I discovered it'd be best to take a tripod with you to have a steady camera for these shots. Too bad I didn't bring it with me! Also, getting OUT of the car & getting closer makes for MUCH better pix! So, there are some goofy pix included.
    Have fun!
    ~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: my albums Xmas lights

• RoseScope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It seems that at this time of a year it is easier to find Christmas lights everywhere than flowers at any other even pick seasons.
    DonÂt you think it's kind of challenge to take pictures at night?

• geoffhandley
    18 years ago

Yes you need a triplod when taking these pictures. My camera was using a shutter speed of several seconds. I was using a little mini tripod, resting it on the car for these shots. When I photographed the industrial estate after dark I used a larger proper tripod.
    One tip I picked up is to use the self timer when taking such photos. It is a pain on my camera cause i have to set it up for each individual photo and if a car arrives in the 10 sec delay....... But it is worth it. Otherwise the action of pressing the shutter jogs the camera and i rejected all such shots. All those displayed were taken using the timer delay function.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Yes, it is a challenge, Alex! Thanks for the tips, Geoff! I have only used my timer once & found I had to set it each time. I do have a remote for the timer, though...maybe that works without resetting each time. I'll see. I hope to figure out what works best before this holiday is over, so I might get some better shots of SOMEthing! :D

EEooww, when you mentioned the car's timing it reminded me of a woman walking in front of my camera the whole time my son was onstage to receive his diploma at graduation! Arrrgh! Frustrating! I couldn't budge because there were others behind me trying to snap pix too.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro