Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs indoor

Posted by fsbaksh82 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 12:50

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I received an herb seed set that includes parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, dill, oregano, chives, mustard, sage and garlic chives. How do I start an indoor garden. From reading some posts, basil needs to be potted separately. What can I plant in a 24" window box, 12 ounce tin cans? I am mostly interested in parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, oregano, chives and sage. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs indoor

Basil likes/tolerates more water than some other culinary herbs (like sage).

In general, you want a fast-draining, lightweight indoor mix, a location with plenty of sun (and supplemental fluorescent lighting if need be) and coolish temperatures with a drop-off at night. Watering with a dilute solution of fertilizer from time to time is fine, but don't overdo fertilizer (you'd probably be better off incorporating a slow-release fertilizer in the soilless mix at low levels).

Since this forum is for discussing medicinal uses of herbs, you'll get more responses and information in the Herbs forum.

Good luck!

o

Thanks eric oh. I didn't realize I posted under herbalism.

o

thyme, oregano, chives and sage are all perennials so put them in containers where they can be happy for a few years.

parsley lives two years and the others are annuals, the basil would like their own pots as they get pretty big, the others would do well in your window box as long as you keep them well watered during the hot part of the summer.

what a nice collection! have fun with it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here