Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

experience with tea tree oil for breakouts

mary_rockland
20 years ago

Has anyone had experience using tea tree oil for acne or rosacea breakouts? My dermatologist mean well, but their prescriptions don't get the red out.

Comments (7)

• curlymom
    20 years ago

My kids and I have had great success w/ tea tree oil. From what I have read, you must make sure it is 100% Australian, believe it or not I found a cheaper brand at Walmart the other day. Only 8.99 for a bottle. For my daughter she sometimes mixes it with a little moisturizing oil if she feels like she needs it. I just dab it on w/ a little cotton swab or ball. Takes care of it almost w/ in 24-48 hours!

• mary_rockland
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thenks curlymom.

So you mean the pimples go away that quickly with tea tree oil? I'm a bit confused why your daughter mixes it with moisturizer? Is she using it for something other than pimples or acne?

Anyone have experience with tea tree who has rosacea?

Gee, these advertisers on the right sure do their homework about where to advertise?

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

Hello Mary. I have used tea tree oil for several years, and, yes, in my experience it can work REALLY fast (from a few minutes to overnight for me). Especially if I catch the pimple early, it usually goes right down w/no trace at all. I use it on trouble spots (one drop straight from the bottle), not all over my face. I like mixing it with lavender essential oil which masks the herbal smell & also speeds healing of the skin.

I suspect curlymom's daughter mixes it with moisturizer because it's a convenient way to get a small preventative dose each time you moisturize your face - which is good if you are having chronic breakouts (or know you've been hitting the chocolate or chips a little too much: usually the source of my outbreaks ;-P). Three to ten drops to each ounce of moisturizer is plenty. Theoretically, too much can be irritating. Also remember that lavender & tea tree are the only essential oils recommended for use "neat" (i.e., undiluted on the skin).

Straight tea tree oil is powerful enough to stop cold sores dead in their tracks too (esp. good mixed w/lavender oil) if caught early. Keep it away from the tender eye area.

The only thing that I've found that works nearly as well (or sometimes better) is propolis tincture from my local beekeeper.

Green blessings,
    ~bushpoet

• vetivert8
    20 years ago

A minor warning: I used it on one of the dogs and he went very woozy directly after. I washed it off with soap and water and he perked up again. It may pay to do a patch test before splashing out.

It was 100% Melaleuca from 'Thursday Plantation' - not Leucospermum. I haven't tried that at all.

• Traute_Biogardener
    19 years ago

Warning about any concentrated oil. You are supposed to use only drops at a time dissolved in other oils. Never use an aromatherapy oil straight from the bottle. Get a book about it or ask for the advice of a trained person.

• Becky Klein-McCreary
    12 years ago

I had a "thing" on my leg that my doctor suggested trying OTC products before we did a culture......I tried neosporin, cortizone, anti-itch, antiseptic, lotrimin, witch hazel, antibiotic, and poison ivy lotions. Nothing helped. When I read the benefits of tea tree oil, I went to my soap-making supplies and got out the tea tree oil. One application, full strength, and it was gone in minutes. It was probably a fungus, as many OTC meds for fungus have tea tree oil as an ingredient, but just not as potent. The "thing" that I had for 8 months has been gone for 3, with no indication of returning. I was at the Gulf last week and got a blister on my heel from walking in sandy shoes......I put tea tree oil on the blister after showering, and it healed.

• kk1515
    12 years ago

i agree that most essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil but there are a very few that can be used neat...lavender comes to mind.

equal parts turmeric + barberry or oregon grape root herbs, powdered and taken by teaspoonfulls (start with 1 or 2 and work up from there if needed, up to a couple tablespoons) daily in honey or tea will help clear skin from the inside out by working on the liver. this is an inexpensive and sure fix, you'll notice results in a couple weeks or so. if you have inflammation anywhere in the body, PMS, joint pain, arthritis, etc. you'll notice a big improvement from this combo as well. turmeric is a near panacea, barberry/oregon grape root clears the liver of heat, excess hormones, etc. be well!

Sponsored
More Discussions