Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
very_virginia

dark grey skin around eye area

Very_Virginia
20 years ago

((im SO sorry if i posted this in the wrong place))

hi im almost 16 years old but my eyes look like im about 60.. i have dark grey rings around my eyes (not only under) it looks likeim always tired and my nose is really pinched.. neither is true. on other sites i read things about gfetting plastic surgery to fix this. theres no way that is happenning but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...

Comments (13)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Do you have allergies? They often cause this kind of discoloration.

Plastic surgery can't do a thing - it's usually covered by makeup.

• Judy_B_ON
    20 years ago

What colour is your skin? If you have olive, brown or black skin, this can be due to extra pigment in that skin.
    Do your relatives have a similar appearance? Again, inherited pigment distribution. The only solution is makeup, but it usually looks fake and, in my mind, worse.

Allergies can also cause "allergic shiner".

Learn to love yourself, no matter what you look like.

• indylars
    20 years ago

Are you using good gentle cleansers and moisturizers? Sometimes circles around the eyes is an indication of poor cleansing and poor moisturizing. Is this an inherited trait in your family? Check with other members and see if this is a problem for them and what they do that works.

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

I agree on the allergy diagnosis, if it isn't natural pigment, I get dark circles when my allergies are bad (when aren't they?)

• Very_Virginia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

omg thanks for the replies! um yes i do have allergies and lately (like for the past month) they have been unbelieveably bad (like i wake up every day covered in hives) but i have had these circles around my eyes ever since i was about 12 or 13. a lot of people on my moms side of the family have the same problem (and by seeing them, its gets worse with age, thats why i want to take care of it now, as soon as i can) um, ive tried makeup but i feel so fake using it, plus the circles are so dark it takes a lot of concealer just to make them barely noticeable. i really wanna stop using makeup alltogether. oh and also im pretty pale white so i definetly know its not hyperpigmentation, because its not a tan or reallly white color, its dark grey =/...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• franeli
    20 years ago

Ever had a cell blood count done for anemia?
    Might be a good idea to have a check-up.
    Anyone smoke around you or in the family,friends?
    Smoking gives the skin a gray-ish tonality.
    Most likely it is the allergies. Can you get them under control?
    Just some additional thoughts from an old,retired RN

• Very_Virginia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

ive never been checked for anemia, and i definetely steer clear of smoking

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

"a lot of people on my moms side of the family have the same problem (and by seeing them, its gets worse with age, thats why i want to take care of it now, as soon as i can"

It's not a condition that can be "taken care of" ... although getting your allergies under control will minimize it, as will a good diet and moderate exercise (general good health). It's a family thing.

Plastic surgery can't get rid of it - it's nothing that can be cut out. It's thin skin and a lot of blood flow in capillaries under it.

Be assured that they are far more obvious to you than anyone else.

• Very_Virginia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

alright well it seems like its a condition that ill just hafta learn to live with... thanks so much for your help, everyone!
    -Virginia

• Traute_Biogardener
    19 years ago

Word of caution:

Yes, dark eyes can be allergic shiners, and that is what I thought I had half of my life. People thought that I was a pretty baby because I had such dark expressive eyes. They did not recognize that those dark eyes were due to a serious problem which could have killed me. I have since then learned from Chinese medicine that blackness and/or puffiness around the eyes can be a sign of kidney problems.

True enough, I was diagnosed with a congenital kidney condition which is normally fatal in infancy. I had the condition corrected at age 35, and within a few months, the shiner as well as the puffiness disappeared. That was 35 years ago, and neither of them have returned, even though I still have serious allergies.

Chinese medicine reads the health of internal organs. For example, the eyes tell you about the kidneys, the nose about the heart, the lungs on either side of the mouth, and the liver and gall bladder are read on the forehead between the eyes.

• beauty_2007
    16 years ago

beautyherbals offering a great product ROSAMIX for dark circles and puffy bags under or around yes. Once try their product. Their website www.beautyherbals.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.beautyherbals.com

• apollog
    16 years ago

If it is allergies, I suggest a neti pot (nasal irrigation). It has made a big difference for me. Basically rinsing the sinuses with saline a few times a day.

Flavonoids like quercetin are good anti-allergy food ingredients (in onions, apples, dried beans, some other foods).

A vitamin K/vitamin E/vitamin C cream might help if it is just a question of poor circulation in the capillaries around the eyes. But it makes more sense to treat the underlying issues first, starting with the allergies, and exploring to see if there are others.

Another thing to consider - vascular function. Leaky capillaries will cause the skin to darken around the eyes. Hypercoagulation can also cause darkening of the thin skinned areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pubmed study on eye circles and vitamin cream

• claire87john
    10 years ago

Try these natural remedies for under-eye discoloration.

Cucumbers are great for reducing tired and puffy eyes, and this treatment can be done daily. Slice the cucumbers up, and lay one slice on each eye, then lay down for 10 or 15 minutes with your eyes closed. Keep the rest of the cucumber in the fridge so you can continue to use it until itâÂÂs gone.

Teabags
    Tannin, which is found in teabags, will lower the swelling and discoloration around the eyes. First youâÂÂll need to place two teabags in the fridge overnight to chill them; in the morning, get them damp, and then lie down with the slices on your eyes. Keep your eyes closed and body still for 10 or 15 minutes each day �" youâÂÂll see results immediately. If you donâÂÂt have teabags, use an ice cube wrapped in a cloth. Never put ice directly onto the skin around your eye because it can cause blood vessels to burst, which causes more dark circles and discoloration.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions