Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Care to back that up with some serious peer-reviewed studies?

Or is this just spam for the store at the link?

{{gwi:2117962}}

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

"Dr. Axe" (whose website that is) is a chiropractor who's set himself up as some kind of nutrition expert.

It's hard to take seriously a person who (for instance) makes false claims about how milk is commonly pasteurized (and recommends raw milk to boot, though it has not been shown to be nutritionally superior to pasteurized milk and carries disease risks from Listeria, TB and other organisms).

He also sells "secret detox" supplements, which should raise a red flag (the concept of "detoxing" is so flawed that anyone promoting it is automatically suspect).

There's some preliminary evidence that turmeric could have health benefits. But it's far from the magical supplement that promoters are pushing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turmeric

• User
    8 years ago

O.K., you guys! I did check out the WebMd link, and it refers to "supplements", which ARE difficult to dose properly. Calcium "supplements" have been proven to cause bladder stones. The problem is not the plant/herb/spice, but the dosages that are difficult to control through supplements. If we all got back on the right nutritional path, eating whole, nutrient dense organic foods, and avoided garbage formulated in labs, we'd all be much better off. Check out Jack LaLane, and the Braggs, of Braggs ACV, for examples! I'm 52 years old and don't look a day over 30, and am slim, muscular and energetic, past menopause, eat meat, good stuff of course, but not a LOT, and love beer! Try not too much there! LOL! I work a full time factory job, and the only exercise I get is on my tiny farmette. I DO eat turmeric, but in mustards, and seasonings like curry powder, as it's MEANT to be eaten. Check out this book: The World's Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan. I have a copy and it's awesome! http://www.whfoods.com/ you can get it on Amazon, and preview it there

• rusty_blackhaw
    8 years ago

The Bragg company sells supplements.

I would ask Jack LaLanne for advice, but he's dead.

• User
    8 years ago

You are correct that Bragg sells supplements, but AVC is not a supplement, it's cider vinegar, that you can make yourself if you like, with the living biome. I guess that you have to sort things out and do your own investigating. I suppose one could call a healthy diet "supplemental" if they wished as well. As far as only wanting to ask the living for advice, you may be missing out on some good history? You may be waiting a very long time for history to repeat itself!

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I don't take herbal supplements. I cook with them, however. Turmeric, ginger, garlic and cinnamon, for starters, are wonderful in the kitchen, and have health benefits. Whether turmeric is as wonderful as Dr. Axe says, or even a tenth as wonderful -- I'm glad not to have to spend moolah on supplements.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

The only supplement I DO take is vitamin D3 since I can't get outdoors often enough. (And I frequently don't remember!) Food is indeed my medicine!

• Ankur Rathor
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Indian food uses various herbs and turmeric is a major one! It goes in almost every recipe. I myself use turmeric is almost everything I make. Just add a pinch to anything you cook. You can pretty much buy turmeric powder at any grocery store.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions