Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

A Peruvian mint... known as 'moonya'

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

Has anyone heard of "moonya"? Pronounces moon-ya, actual spelling I don't know.

It was grown in the highlands. It had smallish leaves, possibly smaller than Mentha aquatica, was around 2' tall, and I saw it growing in malnourished soils.

I would just love to grow the plant here!

Any tips appreciated! Thanks.

Comments (11)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Minthostachys setosa

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Here's a site that talks about its use as a digestive aid (mints of various kinds have been used for this purpose for a long time).

I don't see any online seed sources (B&T World Seeds used to carry it - maybe they could give you a tip on who still sells it).

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow thank you both!
    I've been reading GW for ages and haven't noticed this board, woo hoo!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Incidentally I wasn't able to find anything in English on this plant for any use other than as a pesticide or an antihelminthic and I was unable to read the text as an antihelminthic so I don't know if it was found that it works for this process or if it does not. Apparently it use used by climbers because it has a refreshing smell.

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pesticide? Ouch!
    While traveling the highlands I was shown to pick it and make tea with it. It was superb with a few coca leaves as well.
    I am quite sure I saw it for sale in packaged tea bags as well but could be wrong on that.
    But thanks for the tip there, I will certainly be researching further to ensure I am searching the correct species!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Don't worry about it, all plants produce chemicals that make them unpalatable and or toxic to a variety of animals. What is toxic to use and what is toxic to a caterpillar are very different sets of plants.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

I posted last night but apparently my puter belched. What I believe you are looking for is Huacatay (tagetes minuta). You will need to find your own source of coca:)))

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually I just ordered the Tagetes minuta (Richters Seeds)- it is definitely not the Muna. Tagetes is a marigold, I bought it as a nematode suppressant and it is 'supposed to' be so vigorous as to block out weeds- we'll see about that.
    But I am quite sure Minthostachys is what I require- still no luck on sources but will continue looking!

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

If Richters doesn't have the herb you are looking for try Horizon Herbs. They have quite an assortment of plants and seeds available. I've had good results with plants and seeds ordered from them.

If you can't find it there, try asking your question on the Herbs forum. The folks there are quite good at knowing where to get the most uncommon of herb plants and seeds!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb - Herbs Forum

• horseplayco_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Definately not huactay - monya is more than a refreshing smell, it is the high altitude answer to staying alive! Instantaneous relief from all symptoms of altitude sickness. I lived near Salcantay for quite a while & used to lead some tours there. This plant - the flowers, fresh specifically, saves lives!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions