Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_85

How to make your own shampoo?

Newbie_85
19 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering: does anyone here know how to make your own shampoo? I thought about using vegetable glycerin... and lavender oil. But what more should I add... and how should I do it? Can anyone tell me?

Thank you very much.

~Newbie~

Comments (7)

• vixenmoon
    19 years ago

I'm not certain. did you find anything with a google search?

I'm guessing that the easiest way would be to buy unscented shampoo and add EO's.

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Here's a gformula from one of my books, The Herbal Home Spa, by Greta Breedlove:

BASIC SHAMPOO FORMULA

2 TBSP. (30 ml) liquid castille soap
    1 cup (250 ml) spring water
    1/4 cup n(50 ml) fresh herbs
    1 tsp. (5 ml) almondor apricot kernel oil
    2 drops esential iol

1. Place herbs in a clean 10-oz (284 g.) glass jar with a lid.
    2. Boil the spring water and pour over the herbs.
    3. Cover and let steep for 10-20 minutes.
    4. Strain the liquid from the herbs into a bowl.
    5. Add the liquid castille soap and almond or apricot kernel oil and mix thoroughly.
    6. Scent with essential oil and mix again.
    7. Bottle in a clean plastic container with a spout or a clean recycled shampoo bottle.

They also recommend specific herbs for differnet hair colors.

• drlubnazubair
    19 years ago

THIS SHAMPOO IS HEALTHY AND CLARIFYING 50% MORE THAN ORDINARY SHAMPOO: TRY IT

TAKE A CUP OF GLYCERINE
    2 CUPS (GRATED)LEATHER FRAGRANT SOAP
    6 CAPSULE VITAMIN E
    2 KG DISTILLED WATER
    1 CUP SOAPNUT POWDER (reetha)

BLEND ALL OF THMM IN A MIXER BLINDER BY ADDING DISTILLED WATR. WHEN MIX WELL AS A SINGLE LIQUID, POUR IN A CONTAINER, ADD REMAINING DISTILL WATER. STIRR UNTIL MIX WELL THEN FILTER IT BY ANY METHOD. LEAVE FOR A DAY AND THEN FILL IN BOTTLES. (DONT THROW THE REMAININGS AFTER FILTER, IT CAN BE USE FOR MASSAGE AND CONDITIONING.

REGARDS
    DR. LUBNA ZUBAIR ALAM

• AlpineFlower
    19 years ago

In regards to the above post:

I used to use this soapnut powder for my hair when I lived in India! I've not seen them in the US, but I'm sure a google search will suffice. For all who are curious, it works very well!!! I've not found it to be very lathering, it could have been my recipe, but it is incredibly clarifying and makes hair very shiny.

• jaschristie
    17 years ago

I have had the best luck with the following:

2 cups boiling water - remove from heat
    Add 2 TBS soaproot - cover, let sit over night
    The next morning bring to a boil, remove from heat, add 1 tsp catnip, 1 tsp lemongrass. Let cool, strain and place in glass bottle.

I got a vinegar and oil dispenser from Bed Bath and Beyond for 1.99 that is heavy ceramic with a steel lid, it works great.

You are supposed to keep the shampoo in a dark place, use 1/3 cup per use (I am not sure how much I use) and it last for 6 days.

I would not recommend buying in bulk. It is $2 and oz and I still have not used all mine.

• tennguy
    17 years ago

Yucca roots (the flowering plant)make a good natural shampoo. (NOT y-u-c-a, the edible one) Chop, steep in hot water, cool and use it fresh.

• dottyperry
    14 years ago

I finally got to a computer and am advising I am no longer going to be online as of March 2008

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions