Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menopause when HRT is being used

Posted by reese51 none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 9:39

My question is this. I had a complete hysterectomy 23 years ago, ovaries and all. I was started on HRT immediately and have never stopped taking them. I've tried to cut back on them at times during the years, but had hot flashes, no sleep, so my doctor put me back on the same dosage. Now I've noticed that at around age 56 (I'm 58 now) I started having short term memory loss, word finding problems, can't remember names....nothing dramatic enough that friends mention it, but my husband and I both definitely see it. I have seen these as menopause symptoms and wonder - could I be having some kind of menopause problems that are age related? Just to further complicate matters, I take Topamax for migraines and have for 10 years. It is known to cause exactly those problems but when I first got on the Topamax the side effects were awful, then tapered off. That's what has me thinking it may be menopause related. Anyone else have menopause symptoms around 55-60 even after you are on HRT?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menopause when HRT is being used

you are experiencing what chinese medical practitioners call 'yin deficiency' which is extremely common during menopause. there are herbs and protocols which address the symptoms very nicely that you may want to look into. the problems with your memory is related to 'blood deficiency' also very common in women in general as we have a strong relationship with blood thru monthly cycles, childbirth etc. the herbs that treat yin and blood deficiency overlap as these two conditions are almost always seen together. suggest you find a practitioner of chinese herbal medicine, an acupuncturist or omd, and let them assess and treat you properly. best wishes you feel better soon. k

o
RE: Menopause when HRT is being used

Thank you so much for the follow-up. I will be sure to check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here