Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esoterica_gw

Question re: Preserving nutrients in sprouts

esoterica
18 years ago

This might be a silly question...

I sprouted wheat for bread and learned to dry it and powder it for the loaf. Ect....

It's very nutritious after about three days.

So my question is... How would the kind folks here preserve or store your dried sprouts to maintain their nutrition content for the longest time possible?

Would you tincture in alcohol or freeze them, or???

I want to use it as a B vitamin suppliment.

Comments (3)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

okay... I researched this... It looks like the best way to preserve it IS by drying... if it's completely dried, keep it in an airtight storage container. No tincturing or anything else required.

Sprouting, soaking and genuine sourdough leavening "pre-digests" grains, allowing the nutrients to be more easily assimilated and metabolized. This is an age-old approach practiced in most traditional cultures. Sprouting begins germination, which increases the enzymatic activity in foods and inactivates substances called enzyme inhibitors.1 These enzyme inhibitors prevent the activation of the enzymes present in the food and, therefore, may hinder optimal digestion and absorption. Soaking neutralizes phytic acid, a component of plant fiber found in the bran and hulls of grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds that reduces mineral absorption.32 All of these benefits may explain why sprouted foods are less likely to produce allergic reactions in those who are sensitive.1

Sprouting also causes a beneficial modification of various nutritional elements. According to research undertaken at the University of Minnesota, sprouting increases the total nutrient density of a food. For example, sprouted whole wheat was found to have 28 percent more thiamine (B1), 315 percent more riboflavin (B2), 66 percent more niacin (B3), 65 percent more pantothenic acid (B5), 111 percent more biotin, 278 percent more folic acid, and 300 percent more vitamin C than non-sprouted whole wheat. This phenomenon is not restricted to wheat. All grains undergo this type of quantitative and qualitative transformation. These studies also confirmed a significant increase in enzymes, which means the nutrients are easier to digest and absorb.33

• esoterica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much Ms Heathen....

This is good to know... I didn't think the nutrients would live through tincturing....

;)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Well, I dunno... they make beer with sprouted grains... hmmmm wonder how nutritious that is? :D

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions