Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re: Preserving nutrients in sprouts

Posted by esoterica 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 11:39

This might be a silly question...

I sprouted wheat for bread and learned to dry it and powder it for the loaf. Ect....

It's very nutritious after about three days.

So my question is... How would the kind folks here preserve or store your dried sprouts to maintain their nutrition content for the longest time possible?

Would you tincture in alcohol or freeze them, or???

I want to use it as a B vitamin suppliment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re: Preserving nutrients in sprouts

okay... I researched this... It looks like the best way to preserve it IS by drying... if it's completely dried, keep it in an airtight storage container. No tincturing or anything else required.

Sprouting, soaking and genuine sourdough leavening "pre-digests" grains, allowing the nutrients to be more easily assimilated and metabolized. This is an age-old approach practiced in most traditional cultures. Sprouting begins germination, which increases the enzymatic activity in foods and inactivates substances called enzyme inhibitors.1 These enzyme inhibitors prevent the activation of the enzymes present in the food and, therefore, may hinder optimal digestion and absorption. Soaking neutralizes phytic acid, a component of plant fiber found in the bran and hulls of grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds that reduces mineral absorption.32 All of these benefits may explain why sprouted foods are less likely to produce allergic reactions in those who are sensitive.1

Sprouting also causes a beneficial modification of various nutritional elements. According to research undertaken at the University of Minnesota, sprouting increases the total nutrient density of a food. For example, sprouted whole wheat was found to have 28 percent more thiamine (B1), 315 percent more riboflavin (B2), 66 percent more niacin (B3), 65 percent more pantothenic acid (B5), 111 percent more biotin, 278 percent more folic acid, and 300 percent more vitamin C than non-sprouted whole wheat. This phenomenon is not restricted to wheat. All grains undergo this type of quantitative and qualitative transformation. These studies also confirmed a significant increase in enzymes, which means the nutrients are easier to digest and absorb.33

o

Thank you very much Ms Heathen....

This is good to know... I didn't think the nutrients would live through tincturing....

;)

o

Well, I dunno... they make beer with sprouted grains... hmmmm wonder how nutritious that is? :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here