Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calendula Oil

Posted by SundanceLily 5/IN (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 12:37

I have some left over bottles of Calendula (cold infused) Oil from over 2 years ago. Does anyone know if this oil is still "Good"? I was wanting to use some of it, but wasn't sure if it has spoiled. They are in dark bottles, with the lids tight, kept in a cabinet that is seldomed opened. Thanks to replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calendula Oil

What type of oil did you use to infuse it? I have used olive oil and it usually doesn't last beyond a year even in a dark cool place. I could tell that it was spoiled by the smell. I used mine in soap making and it didn't seem to cause a problem, probably due to the chemical reaction to the lye. I know it's hard to throw something as precious as an infused oil out. Especially if you grew the calendula yourself. Theresa.

o

smell it....should smell bad by now.

o

Toss it.

o

Thanks for the replies, yes it is hard to throw out, but I will. I did make it with olive oil from flowers I grew. Oh well, spring is near ...

o

Next time you make it, Sundance, try using grapeseed oil. Alittle pricy but it doesn't spoil as quick as olive oil.... And it's pack full of antioxidents!
G.L.
Diane

Why not store it in the fridge? Take it out a couple hours before you need to use it... will vertually keep forever!
:-)

o

To keep any oil from going rancid, add the content of natural source vitamin E oil squeezed fresh from the capsule. Also make sure that it is in a dark bottle and kept in a cool place. Olive oil is not the best base, because it is so thick. Use a really light oil. It will soak into the skin faster. Examples, safflower oil, almond oil, and the best is jojoba oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here