Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carrier oils

Posted by inkofthebroken cntrl Tx - 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 05 at 18:00

ive been working with olive oil, but it spoils quickly and is really thick.. i was wondering if anyone else had some good carrier oils they like using for infusions, and where it is best to find them (grocery/drug stores, etc)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carrier oils

There's rice bran oil... good for aging skin and not so thick.

o

How about Jojoba or Almond? I find that Grape seed is much more reasonable than the rest.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

I have been very happy with sweet almond oil.

o

I also use Apricot kernel or Almond oils. I'd use Hemp, but can't afford it :o(
When using olive oil, I usually add a cap of Vitamin E oil to help preserve it. Enjoy! Lynn

o

Are you infusing hot or cold (ie are you heating the olive oil or infusing cold over long time peroids?)

If you are infusing herbs hot with olive oil, make sure it is done on a VERY low heat, and not allowed to boil at all, just a few bubbles appearing at the surface = take pot off the heat and return in 30 seconds or so. I don't know if this helps, but I have have found if it boils it spoils.

John

o

I use Grapeseed oil. It's very light and doesn't leave a greasy feeling on your skin. I buy it in the cooking oil section of my local grocery store.

o

There is a trick to keeping oils from spoiling. Keep them in a cool dark place and add some natural source vitamin E to them squeezed straight out of the capsule. In other words, make sure it is in a dark place all the time or else in a dark glass bottle. As soon as you open the bottle, add the vitamin E. That way it will keep from spoiling for a very long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here