Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Japanese

Posted by trudyjean82 z8SWGA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 19:15

Magnolia Blooms. I'm asking here because yawl are so smart an are so knowledgeable. A coworker today was being goofy an nibbled (sorta) on a petal of a Japanese Magnolia bloom. Later on he told me that it had made his tongue an mouth numb an his entire body painless. He's had problems with his shoulder an is on light duty, but for a brief moment he was no longer in pain. Said it didn't last that long, but I think it kinda scared him. He wanted to know what it could have been in the blooms natural make up that would have caused this. The tree where I collected the blooms would not have been sprayed with anything just so ya know. I have tried to google info about it but get nothing. Thanks, trudy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Japanese

Tell him not to worry - many plants have a little toxin of one kind or another in them, often the type that numbs tongues, etc. for a short time, but by now the effect has probably worn off (as he said). What that particular chemical was I don't know - may be a variation of similar, if not same, ones that are in other plants, but unless a particular plant is well known to be dangerous, don't worry about them, it's quite common.

o
RE: Question about Japanese

Thank you Lucy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here