Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Skin lighteners

I have two areas on my leg were there are mottled patches of darkened skin. I thought at first that it was a side effect of the medications I am taking (they alter my hormones), causing something similar to melasma.

Then, after doing a lot of searching, I figured out that it is in fact "Toasted Skin Syndrome"/Erythema ab igne.

It fits too. I've got this space heater by my computer and I often rest my leg on the chair next to it. The two patches coincide- they were closest to the heat source.

Needless to say I have stopped roasting myself, lol. I've read that the discoloration/hyperpigmentation can sometimes go away a few months after the heat source is removed. I wonder if you guys have any ideas on how to naturally lighten the patches if it doesn't go away or lessen on their own? I'd like to try starting with something natural and less harsh first, rather than jumping right to a hydroquinone cream.

Lemon juice is an obvious one. I'm sure there are other fruits as well. Are there any essential oils? I use various oils in my skin care regimen (jojoba, sometimes sweet almond) and think essential oils would be a bit easier to incorporate into daily use.

Thanks for any ideas!
CMK

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!
More Discussions