Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skin lighteners

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 22:51

I have two areas on my leg were there are mottled patches of darkened skin. I thought at first that it was a side effect of the medications I am taking (they alter my hormones), causing something similar to melasma.

Then, after doing a lot of searching, I figured out that it is in fact "Toasted Skin Syndrome"/Erythema ab igne.

It fits too. I've got this space heater by my computer and I often rest my leg on the chair next to it. The two patches coincide- they were closest to the heat source.

Needless to say I have stopped roasting myself, lol. I've read that the discoloration/hyperpigmentation can sometimes go away a few months after the heat source is removed. I wonder if you guys have any ideas on how to naturally lighten the patches if it doesn't go away or lessen on their own? I'd like to try starting with something natural and less harsh first, rather than jumping right to a hydroquinone cream.

Lemon juice is an obvious one. I'm sure there are other fruits as well. Are there any essential oils? I use various oils in my skin care regimen (jojoba, sometimes sweet almond) and think essential oils would be a bit easier to incorporate into daily use.

Thanks for any ideas!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skin lighteners

careful applying essential oils to the skin, especially undiluted. they are highly concentrated extracts so deserve some respect : )

perhaps try lemon juice, it's long been used for fading freckles. vinegar is said to work too. i've also read in a few old timey herbals that crushed mint leaves applied to the area every day for awhile has the same effect, always wondered if this would work. good luck with it!

good nutrition is key to healthy skin too so clean up your diet and add supplements as needed to fill nutritional gaps.

o
RE: Skin lighteners

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know about mint.

Yeah, I always dilute them in a carrier oil.

I also just read that licorice root extract helps with pigment lightening. This sure is going to be an interesting medley of scents on my leg, lol.

Cheers
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here