Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good book on Growing Medicinal Herbs (Plants)

Posted by lyonsy 10 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 22:59

Title asks the question.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good book on Growing Medicinal Herbs (Plants)

oops just saw a thread on this subject.

no need to respond

John

o

Most newer garden books have sections on herbs. I recently found this, however: The Ultimate Herb Book" The definitive guide to growing and using over 200 herbs, by Anthony Atha, published by Barnes & Noble books-- found it in the front "gotcha" rack in the store. The only thing I disagree with is that almost every entry calls for "fertile soil" & in all my years of growing herbs I have noticed that the ones that have done the best have been the most neglected (yeah, but do water them, okay?). My veggies & flowers do great with compost-- it kills my herbs.

o

Hi simplemary,
Weeds, a.k.a. herbs, are robust because their roots can use the local symbiotic mycorrhiza (which a vegetable seedling/plant generally doesn't foster a quick relationship with; ex: innoculated 1st time bean soil improves yield).
When applying compost it's micro-organisms can conflict with these herb plants' soil partners & they can be incompatable.
Compost's contents fluctuate in their release, fostering a distinct micro-flora & can alter the roots' ion conductivity; so, the nutrient boost you expect doesn't show up as a healthier herb.
I am sure some herbs can benefit from improving the soil.

o

Thank you for solving a 20 year mystery, gringojay.

Who was it that said a weed was simply a flower in the wrong place?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here