Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simsalabim_gw

Polygonum chinense/ Chinese Knotweed

simsalabim
12 years ago

I have Polygonum chinense/ Chinese Knotweed growing nicely in my garden but have not much of an idea what I should use it for. It tastes horrible and must therefore have only medicinal use.

Here is a short description and a picture of this plant:

http://www.beautanicals.com.au/knotweed.html

Comments (11)

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Sim:

Were you eating the leaves? It's the root that's used.

theherbalist

• simsalabim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! No I didn't eat the leaves, just nibbeled to see how it tastes, they look pretty and palatble but taste yucky.
    What are you using the root for? (I guess I won't rip them out for harvesting the root anyway because it is a pretty plant, justin case you never know)

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

sim:

It's considered an energy restoration root. It strengthens the Liver and Kidney meridians with neutral and drying energies. It raises the vital forces by tonifying the Qi, Blood and Essence.

Must use caution, though. If you have other outstanding health conditions, using knotweed root can and probably will dam up the energies and cause side effects. Not harmful side effects, but uncomfortable ones.

theherbalist

• robos
    12 years ago

Hello,
    could somebody send me few seeds from Polygonum chinense?
    For trade, check my list.

Thanks.

• robos
    12 years ago

I found that Polygonum chinense is synonym of Fagopyrum dibotrys.
    By pfaf.org edible parts are leaves and seeds.
    Medical usage:
    Anodyne; Anthelmintic; Antiinflammatory; Antiphlogistic; Antispasmodic; Cancer; Carminative; Depurative; Febrifuge; Hypotensive.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

robos:

Please, recheck your information. The polygonum being discussed is polygonum multiflorum. The one you're talking about is perennial buckwheat. Totally different herbs.

theherbalist

• robos
    12 years ago

Sorry, but at begining was writen "polygonum chinense" which is fagopyrum dibotrys (perenial buckwheat), polygonum multiflorum is synonym of Fallopia multiflora which is a perenial climber.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Robos:

Yes. At the time, I didn't know why I chose Latin class in high school (1960's). But when I got into herbology, the latinus termus' came in handy. Even now, occasionally, I have to double check an herb's name by the latin name or, sometimes, by its botanical name for accuracy.

theherbalist

• simsalabim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If these leave are a potherb then you must have a special recipe. I would describe the taste as yuck.
    When do you dig out the root? (If I ever will do that because the plant is very pretty IMO)

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Sim:

If your question is directed at me, then I don't know. lol I'm an herbalist, not a botanist, though I do some wildcrafting for the fun of it. Many perennials in the wild are harvested in the spring before the juices flow up from the roots into the herb above ground.

You can probably more easily buy this root. I buy it under the name Ho Shou Wu in Chinese.

theherbalist

• twistfix
    9 years ago

I believe it to be Japanese Knotweed not chinese.

Dilute at the rate of 1 part herbicide to 40 parts of water for treatment of most prenial weeds and 1 to 40 for treatment of hardy invasive plants like Japanese Knotweed and 1:20 for Ivy

Here is a link that might be useful: Knotweed Control

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator
More Discussions