Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Betony

Posted by eibren z6PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 8:40

This is an interesting herb with many historical associations and uses, including the ability to be steeped as a tealike beverage.

As one of its historical uses was as a vermifuge, however, its use as a tea should be limited, and it should not be used at all when expecting.

I'm wondering if anyone else has grown this? I planted one plant in a rather wild part of my garden several years ago, and think I will go on a hunt for it when it gets warmer to see if it has survived.

An interesting botanical characteristic is its practice of parasitizing the roots of other plants to increase its access to soil moisture and nutrients.

Some still claim it is mildly useful in cases of anxiety, colds and sinus afflictions, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA--Forest Service

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Betony

two plants are commonly called 'wood betony' leading to some confusion, what is the latin name of the plant you are referring to?

both of the herbs with this common name have an affinity for the head, often used for headaches, anxiety, etc.

o

It's in the link: Wood Betony (Pedicularis canadensis L.).

"Pedicularis (Orobanchaceae, formerly Scrophulariaceae: Rhinanthoideae) are hemiparastic plants. Pedicularis canadensis ... whose common names are lousewort or wood betony, is an obligate root parasite on a wide range of host species, but it retains its photosynthetic ability. Reproduction and host foraging are accomplished both sexually (seeds) and asexually (rhizomes). "

Here is a link that might be useful: Illinois State

o

ooo, Pedicularis is one of my favorite herbs! it's a wild snapdragon family member and looks like it too. have harvested it many times in the high rockies where it likes to grow and blooms in summer, july and august. (although there are lowland versions of it too) it possesses lovely nervine and sedative properties...highly prized by the working herbalist. it can be hard to come by in commerce, always sells out quickly. please harvest ethically... 10% only from large stands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here