Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Licorice Tea... how much is too much

Posted by storygardener 5/6 central oh (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 9:28

Hi Folks...A friend gave me some teas and included was a delicious licorice tea (licorice root, cinnamon bark, orange peel, ginger root, cardamom seed, black pepper, clove bud). I'd love to enjoy cup of this tea on a daily basis. Another friend said that it raises blood pressure, effects blood sugar, depletes the body of potassium. Eek gads!

So, my question remains - Is a cup of this tea eveyday too much. Should I only have it on special occaisions? How many cups would be harmful?

I am glad I have a place to ask this question.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Licorice Tea... how much is too much

once a day is probably not a problem... I wouldn't take it for months in and months out though... sounds quite stimulating though!

o

I'd be more inclined to advise against daily consumption.

Natural licorice is known to cause hypertension and low potassium if enough is taken, and potentially can cause other problems as well. It has also caused trouble when taken in a Chinese herbal mixture.

I found a source of real licorice candy locally (most of what's sold is artificially flavored with anise) and enjoy it on occasion, but I wouldn't eat it every day.

Caution is especially advisable in people with heart or blood pressure problems who are taking medication for them (i.e. digitalis).

o

I'm with Eric. Daily is far too often. Liquorice is notorious for raising the blood pressure and causing other problems. Not a herb to be taken lightly.

Liquorice should not be used by those suffering from high blood pressure, fluid retention, headache, vertigo, cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease or a history of stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, or by those who are obese. Best avoided when pregnant or lactating. May cause water retention and loss of potassium. Do not use for more than 4 weeks consecutively. Professional supervision is recommended.

Make it just an occasional treat, not a regular thing at all.

o

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like it should just be a very occasional cup of tea. I appreciate it.

o

• Posted by cacye Denver,CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 17:09

If you are female the best time to take licorice is during the estrogenic phase of your cycle, i.e., the first two weeks after your period. This will minimize bloat. Licorice is used with many herbs to strenghten their effects. Take it with your Echinacea when you have an illness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here