Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Ginger

silversword
15 years ago

I love ginger. Ginger tea with a little honey for a sore throat or upset stomach, ginger on my fish, ginger in a salad dressing...

What I didn't know was how beneficial it can be to the intestinal tract, it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may help prevent cancer.

Comments (10)

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Hi silversword,
    Aquarium fish do not swim sleekly weighted down with ginger gunk.
    There was a study about it; yep, done by some smart aleck kids - apparently secretly funded by a parent.

• apollog
    15 years ago

I use it for neurovascular headache (migraine and cluster), though for me it is secondary to kudzu and melatonin.

In the ayurvedic tradition, ginger is considered sattvic - it is balanced, and balances the body. Other herbs may be dulling or over-exciting, but ginger is harmonizing.

>> Aquarium fish do not swim sleekly weighted down with ginger gunk.

I don't understand. Why would aquarium fish be weighted down with such gunk? Are we using the message board to pass coded messages? ;)

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think Gringo was making a jokey reference to me saying I like ginger on my fish.

• apollog
    15 years ago

Got it - too distracted, read each post independently.

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Moxa (aged mugwort) cones are sometimes burned on top of a ginger slice during traditional Chinese medicine's moxabustion "tonification" treatment; not joking (but was earlier).
    Ginger is used by some people for allaying nausea. ( There was a genuine study about this years ago; conclusion was "yes/sort of/sometimes".)
    There are proponents of drinking ginger tea & even ginger ale (the origin of which was?) for nausea.

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had moxa treatment before with acupuncture but never on top of ginger... that's interesting!

Ginger ale worked well for me with pregnancy nausea.

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

I also love ginger. Silversword, for my sore throat tea, I add sage to my ginger/lemon/honey mix. It works wonderfully well. And how DO you get your fish to hold still long enough to attach the ginger to them?

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"And how DO you get your fish to hold still long enough to attach the ginger to them?"

I use my secret honey/soy sauce mixture ;)

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Brilliant!

• simplemary
    15 years ago

I make an oil maceration of ginger for massaging sore muscles & use it to warm my kidneys when I have a cold-- both tea & poultice. It will break up a cold in this manner almost overnight & will create an immediate body warmth to aid sleep & sweating. When my children had long bus rides for school trips, I always sent them with crystallized ginger for motion sickness.

Sponsored
More Discussions