Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ACV for eyes?

Posted by xminion (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 11:30

Greetings,

In reading about Apple Cider Vinegar, there is some claims that, if used as an eyewash, one can improve cloudiness due
to cataracts.

Has anyone had experience with ACV eyewashes?

Thanks

Xminion

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ACV for eyes?

Cataracts are inside the eye so an external wash will have no effect.

You should never wash the eyes with anything not intended for them as you will likely introduce micro organisms that cause infection.

And finally, the eye is lined with a sensitive mucous membrane. Using a acid like vinegar will be painful.

o
RE: ACV for eyes?

Bad, bad, BAD idea.

Firstly, common cataracts (also called nuclear sclerosis or NS) are thought to be caused by two factors: swelling and opacity of the lens fibers due to the aging process, and environmental factors (exposure to UV light, tobacco smoke, etc). (I've left out congenital cataracts, which are a different story.)

Although some systemic medications can certainly accelerate cataract formation if absorbed into the eye (long-term, high-dose steroids will do this), at present there is no evidence whatsoever for a topically applied substance that can retard cataract formation. Even the systemic vitamin/antioxidant formulas such as Ocuvite merely slow the progression; they don't reverse any existing damage.

Second, ACV almost certainly won't help a cataract, but it certainly will give you a nasty corneal burn. Any cataract-reducing benefit you might obtain will be more than cancelled out by the antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, surgical debridement and/or corneal transplant you'll need to treat the burns caused by the acidic ACV wash.

Please, for the sake of your eyes, don't try this one at home or anywhere else.

(Note: I am not a physician - my comments here are merely those of an informed layperson with some background in ophthalmology. By all means talk with your doctor before doing anything to your eyes.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here