Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
85 year old black cohosh root still 'medicinal'!

Posted by bushpoet z6 Bronx NY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 11:53

Hello everyone. When I harvest & store herbs, I'm always wondering about their long-term potency - usually I end up relying on good judgment + intuition.

Well check out this article!

~bushpoet

Here is a link that might be useful:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 85 year old black cohosh root still 'medicinal'!

yes? gotta provide the link or we think you are pulling our leg! :oD

o

Sorry! GW must be acting up - the link was posted properly when I previewed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 85-Year-old Black Cohosh Root Still Contains Active Compounds

o

Wonder what would happen if the Botanical Garden researchers tested their 85-year-old preparation against all the black cohosh products currently on the market.

Based on the wide variations previously found in the level of effective ingredients in certain herbal supplements, it wouldn't be surprising if the old black cohosh was more pharmacologically active than some current product.

o

It would probably depend on the dose.Fresh dug Black Cohosh root now shouldn't be that much different than it was 85 years ago.

o

I think it is maybe because the chemical compound in the root of black Cohosh is very stable (either chemically or kinetically) or else it will be gone in just few years or months. That means Black Cohosh will be chemically stable for a long time if it is rightly preserve. Hypothetically, as with science nothing is certain la.... Anyway, anyone knows what Black Cohosh called in Malay or Chinese?? :)

o

http://altnature.com/gallery/Black_Cohosh.htm

Heres a picture of what it looks like.Its a North American native so Im not sure what it would be called in Chinese.

o

News flash: Old threads still provide platform for spammers!

To update the picture on black cohosh: this herb gained acceptance in recent years as an alternative medication to treat menopausal symptoms (picking up an endorsement from a major gynecology organization). Then a large clinical trial found that the herb did not provide benefits greater than placebo. Recent studies remain mixed, with this new report (involving a relatively small trial) showing that black cohosh didn't even do as well as placebo in relieving hot flashes and night sweats. On the plus side: testing for measures of brain function found no negative effects of black cohosh (by some measures of mental acuity, supplemental hormones can have detrimental effects). And while there are few reports of liver toxicity with black cohosh, it overall appears to a have a good safety profile.

o

black cohosh is 'sheng ma' per chinese herbalism.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here