Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
herbal question

Posted by christina7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 11:55

hi,
im just starting out on a herbal medicine course and already im confused. can someone explain to me what the abbreviations after the latin names mean, for example Anathemis nobilis (L) what does the (L) stand for. also is there any reason why plants should not be put into a sick room overnight.
many thanks in advance
happy days

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: herbal question

The "L" stands for Linnaeus, the botanist who first named the plant. It's good to specify the Latin name (Anthemis nobilis) to make sure you're referring to this specific plant, as there are something like a half-dozen different plants commonly referred to as chamomile. Using the "L" is not necessary.

Some people are allergic to A. nobilis and related plants, which would be a reason for susceptible people to avoid them.

o

thank you eric_oh thats helped me loads.
another question for you if you're up for it is, in lichen, what benefits would a fungus deive from its algal partner, what does this mean. i feel such a dummy but this is a completely new subject for me. thanks again

o

Yes... with some plants having several common names, I think they should always go by their latin names... no mistakes there, and it helps with confusion if the plant has a 'officinalis" in it's name. I don't know which medicinal path you are taking, the only thing I can think of to answer your second question is maybe lichen has half a chemical that will mate with another to form another chemical? Like hydrogen getting together with oxygen makes water? I don't have a specific on the fungi/algae partnership.

o

Is the lichen question part of your homework? If so, you really should be reading your material and finding the answers. Not being mean, but you will remember the things you search out yourself and will not remember the answers you are given.

Anyway, a lichen is essentially a fungus that contains algae in its tissues. Fungus can't photosynthesize, algae can, so the fungal cells get food from the algae and the algae cells get water and minerals from the fungus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lichen

o

oh wow... learn something new everyday! I am glad you said that Judy... now I know. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here